How to start planning your summer vacation

Stephanie Toussaint/File

There are only three weeks left of school and you have no clue how you’re going to spend your summer vacation. It’s hit you that the time you have left to plan a spectacular trip may be out of your grasp and you don’t want to spend another summer moping at home. Have no fear! We at the Clog have some ideas that’ll get you started on planning an eventful summer break.

Scavenge for hotels and travel tickets

Take a chance this summer and make a spontaneous trip to the first place that pops into your head. Look for cheap hotels and travel prices so you can have fun in a foreign place on a college student budget. Part of the fun is taking on the challenge of finding a place out of your comfort zone and experiencing a foreign culture. Don’t wait until June to book your tickets unless you want to cry when you have to choose between your bank account or an adventurous summer destination.

Assemble the dream team

Hit up friends old and new to take with you on your travels. Summer is the time to reconnect with old friends and make stronger bonds with the friends you’ve made in Berkeley. There’s no better way to spend your break than with a circle of close friends who’ll watch your back and make sure you stay out of trouble. Bring a camera along to capture these memories that you’ll look back on when school starts again in the fall.

Pack the essentials

Whether you plan on heading back home or going to a new destination, don’t forget to make a list of all the things you need to bring. You don’t want to find yourself halfway across the state without your driver’s license or wallet. It’d be pretty awkward to borrow a stranger’s cell phone and find out that none of your apartment mates are still in Berkeley.

Write down a summer reading list

Now’s the time to relax with a good book and glass of iced tea. With all the midterms, final exams, projects and papers due every other week during the school year, it’s hard to make time to read non-academic books and curl up on the couch uninterrupted.

Explore restaurants and cafes

While Berkeley’s food scene isn’t exactly lacking, you’ve probably grown tired of all the sandwiches, pad thai, Golden Bear Cafe sandwiches or dining commons food. Yelp is your best friend when it comes to finding the hottest places to eat and drink. Summer vacation is when you can try the new Ethiopian place your cousin has been raving about in your hometown or have the chance to eat the rainbow bagels that have been blowing up the foodie scene.

Buy tickets for concerts and festivals

If you didn’t get the chance to go to Coachella or Stagecoach this April, you can catch 3OH!3 at the Vans Warped tour or Adele on her North American tour in the following months. Go to the Outside Lands Music and Arts Festival in San Francisco as a last hurrah at the end of the summer.

Go around the U.S. on a road trip and be one with nature

If you don’t have the money to buy expensive airplane tickets or hotel rooms, grab a couple friends and a car. Take in the natural beauty America has to offer and go camping at one of the many national parks around the country. Travel to new states and take in America’s amber waves of grain and purple mountain majesties. But beware of bears, not all of them are as nice as Oski.

Work on that tan

It’s been a while since that crazy spring break trip and your tan is already starting to fade from the many hours you spent in Main Stacks. Put on a swimsuit and plan to lounge by the pool, on the lawn or at the beach. Don’t forget to slap on some sunscreen and watch your pasty skin glow from within. You’ll have all your friends thinking you spent the summer hiking through the park or building houses under the hot sun.

Contact Angeline Nguyen at [email protected].