Sweetgreen: Your new favorite salad spot?

Heeral Shivnani/Staff

A new salad bar couldn’t have opened at a better time. With the weather getting warmer, students are starting to prefer refreshing salads over greasy pizzas.

Located pretty conveniently at 1890 Shattuck Ave., Sweetgreen is a great stop for some serious conscious eating. Karen Kelly, president and chief executive officer, had much to say about what makes the restaurant stand out. “We change our menu five times a year because we try to incorporate seasonal produce from local farmers. The whole focus is on making eating real, wholesome food sustainable,” she said.

Heeral Shivnani/Staff

We ordered the Rad Thai, based on her recommendation, which is supposed to be a raw-food version of the classic South Asian Pad Thai. Topped with incredibly juicy citrus prawns and spicy sunflower seeds, it was perhaps the freshest-tasting salad you’ll find in Berkeley. You can taste very well the sweetness of the basil. Who knew cashew dressing would taste as good as the peanut sauce? The hibiscus lime fresca — with barely three grams of sugar — helps the greens taste much better.

The price of some of the more popular salad combinations may burn a hole in the pockets of broke college students, however. And unfortunately, the additional premium toppings are even more out of our price range.

Heeral Shivnani/Staff

Once you get to know about Sweetgreen’s social roles, however, you might be more inclined to buy one of their salads. As food insecurity is becoming a larger problem, Sweetgreen’s program, Sweetgreen in Schools, is encouraging kids to learn more about what they should be eating and where that food comes from. They plan on achieving this goal by letting children grow their own food so that they’ll become more conscious about what they’re eating. The cause makes the high prices of the salads worth supporting.

With a calm atmosphere, friendly service, generously portioned salads and a worthwhile cause, Sweetgreen should definitely be next restaurant you plan on visiting. If you’re looking for a place to finish that final essay, skip your usual coffee shop and give this restaurant a shot.

Contact Heeral Shivnani at [email protected].