Hearing continues for Oakland man accused of 2 Berkeley murders in 2013

OAKLAND — Attorneys presented evidence to a judge Tuesday to determine which exhibits would be admissible to the jury during its deliberation of the case of Oakland resident Darnell Williams, who is being charged with two counts of homicide.

Williams, 25, is accused of killing Alaysha Carradine, 8, and Anthony Medearis, 22, on two separate occasions in 2013. Williams is currently facing numerous charges, including two counts of homicide.

If Williams is convicted of both counts of homicide, he could face the death penalty.

When Williams’ trial began in September, defense attorney Darryl Billups raised objections to certain elements of the presented evidence, including photos of Carradine and Medearis, and the clothes they wore at the time of their deaths. At the time, Judge Jeffrey Horner ruled against the objections and permitted the evidence be presented to the jury.

At Tuesday’s hearing, conducted in the absence of the jury, district attorney John Brouhard presented all the evidence in the case against Williams to Billups and Horner. Giving the defense an opportunity to raise objections, the hearing was meant to determine what evidence would be allowed in the room when the jury decides a verdict. Because Billups had no new grounds of objection, Horner extended his original ruling that previously admitted evidence would be admissible.

Billups also discussed his motion to strike the special circumstances in Medearis’ murder, which allege that Williams killed Medearis while attempting to rob him. If Billups’ motion passed, Medearis’ death would be considered only on the grounds of homicide. After listening to arguments from both attorneys, Horner decided to rule against the motion.

“I think that there is sufficient evidence here to show the attempted robbery of the victim,” Horner said during the hearing.

Because of a gag order issued by Horner to all affiliated members of the case, neither Brouhard nor Billups could comment on the ongoing case.

The jury will reconvene Monday in order to hear closing arguments for the case.

Contact Chantelle Lee at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @ChantelleHLee.