BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 01, 2022

Cal men's basketball announces Tim O'Toole as assistant coach

APRIL 28, 2016

While the fate of Cal men’s basketball head coach Cuonzo Martin’s contract for the upcoming season still remains unclear, the team announced Thursday the signing of a new assistant head coach, Tim O’Toole.

The hiring comes after the resignation of former assistant coach Yann Hufnagel last month after an investigation into a sexual harassment claim. Hufnagel was hired a few weeks ago to coach at Nevada.

O’Toole brings 23 years of Division 1 coaching experience, including eight years as a head coach at his alma mater, Fairfield, from 1998-2006. O’Toole has been an assistant under many successful head coaches, including Mike Krzyzewski from Duke and Syracuse’s Jim Boeheim and is coming off his third season as an assistant at Pac-12 rival Stanford.

“It’s an amazing opportunity to be a part of what Cuonzo has started with his energy and passion,” O’Toole said in a statement. “I’ve been blessed to have worked at some phenomenal academic institutions in my past, and this opportunity at Cal is right at the top of the list.”

The Bears have been busy this off season, with the biggest announcement including freshman forward Ivan Rabb announcing that he would remain in college for the 2016-17 campaign. Many had projected the freshman to be selected early in the 2016 NBA Draft, which fellow forward Jaylen Brown declared for late last week.

In addition, Cal secured a commitment from UNLV guard Jordan Cornish and Columbia graduate transfer Grant Mullins and also signed JUCO guard Dontae Coleman to a national letter of intent in the last month.

“Tim brings a wealth of knowledge and experience that will enhance our staff and greatly benefit our program,” Martin said in a statement. “Over his career, he has worked with some of the top programs and coaches in the country and has a proven record helping players develop their potential on the court and in the classroom.”

Contact Alaina Getzenberg at 

APRIL 29, 2016