Kenny Lawler picked by Seattle Seahawks in 7th round

Al Sermeno/Courtesy

Another one of Jared Goff’s former offensive weapons has found a new home.

Former Cal wide receiver Kenny Lawler has been selected with the 22nd pick of the seventh round of the NFL Draft, number 243 overall, by the Seattle Seahawks.

One of the most decorated receivers in Cal history, Lawler finished his collegiate career tied for the second-most touchdown receptions in school history, with 27. He also added 143 catches, 1,706 yards and 19 starts to his resume heading into draft season.

In Seattle, Lawler will fight for playing time with incumbent veterans Doug Baldwin and Jermaine Kearse. In an offense that just lost workhorse running back — and former Cal player — Marshawn Lynch and continues to be in flux at the receiver position, Lawler should be granted ample opportunity to step up.

Though he was selected as a first-team All-Pac-12 player for his performance this past season, the former Bear undoubtedly faces difficulty in finding his niche in an NFL system. Fears over a lack of speed, a thin frame and overproduction in the wide-open “Bear Raid” offense have dropped him perhaps lower in the draft than one would expect from such an esteemed cog in Sonny Dyke’s hand-crafted machine.

His smooth footwork, though, combined with his knack for finding the endzone, made him a player that simply had to be selected. The test from here for Lawler will be developing strengths from his weaknesses.

Austin Isaacsohn is the sports editor.
Contact him at [email protected].