How to celebrate Mother’s Day long distance

Yinan Su/File

In the whirlwind of RRR week and finals week, we sometimes forget to feed and bathe ourselves, let alone connect with our loved ones. Mother’s Day is the day to celebrate the one person who has sacrificed so much to raise us and continually gives us unconditional love. But, for the majority of UC Berkeley students, it isn’t possible to be with our moms this Sunday. We at the Clog have compiled some ways to let the No. 1 woman in your life know that you love her in the midst of all the piles of study notes and empty instant ramen containers.

#Virtual love

Although it’s easy to just pick up the phone and tell your mom all the wonderful things you miss about her, take the time to set up a video call via Skype or FaceTime. Your face is sure to brighten her day and, although she might worry about the bags under your eyes, she’ll be relieved to know that you’re still hanging on. Plan all the things you want to do together with her once you go home for summer break.

Flower power

With a push of a button, you can order flowers from a local florist or a flower delivery service to send to your mom. Roses are classic, but a bouquet of lilies or tulips is a nice change that might surprise her. Attach a heartfelt note so that every time she looks at the beautiful flower arrangement, she’ll think of you. If you want to go the extra mile, send a box of chocolates or a spa kit to let her know how much you appreciate her and want her to relax on this special day.

Keep this love in a photograph

Make a scrapbook or photo album filled with pictures of the two of you. The trip down memory lane not only follows your growth from childhood to adulthood  college, but it is also a wonderful way to show your mom that without her support, you wouldn’t be the person you are today. Load up your scrapbooks with lots of fun memories or quotes to personalize this gift.

It’s elementary, my dear

All those crafts we were told to make in elementary school to celebrate Mother’s Day were probably left on the fridge for years before being thrown out. Our moms treasured those chubby hand prints and uneven paper flowers. Take a page from the book of the past and send your mom sheets of personalized Mother’s Day coupons. Write promises like “free hug,” “make dinner tonight” or ” go to the movies with me” that she can redeem the next time you see her.

Surprise, surprise

If you truly can’t stand being away from your mom, book a last-minute trip and arrive on her doorstep. Pretend that you’re still in Berkeley and emphasize how much you wish you were there to celebrate Mother’s Day with her. Although your wallet will probably hate you afterward, the joy on your mom’s face when she opens the front door is worth the empty bank account. Even if it’s for a day, being in your mom’s arms will relieve all the tension and stress built up over RRR week.

Contact Angeline Nguyen at [email protected].