BERKELEY'S NEWS • SEPTEMBER 26, 2022

Five songs to celebrate summer in Berkeley

ELIZABETH KLINGEN | STAFF

MAY 16, 2016

You may find yourself with a lot of time on your hands if you’re staying in Berkeley this summer term. Maybe your subletters don’t move in until June, or maybe your roommates are vacationing and you find yourself with little to do. We at the Clog have the solution for you: Throw your own party with the classic hits below.

1. “Baby Got Back” – Sir Mix-a-Lot

This is a masterclass hit that would inspire a wealth of music after it, including Nicki Minaj’s own “Anaconda.” Additionally, everyone knows the opening lyrics to this song, and we mean everyone likes this song and they cannot lie. What better way to celebrate the end of the semester than with this legendary song. Thank you Sir Mix-a-Lot. You’re a musical Columbus who showed everyone the fantastic world of generous backsides.

2. “Laffy Taffy” – D4L

The song just goes great with a fanny pack, shades and your best frattire. Play this classic off of D4L’s aptly named debut album Down For Life at any function this summer in Berkeley (if there are any) and we guarantee that you will be the frat star of whatever dance floor you’re on. So go ahead Mr. Chick-o-Stick, look for your Mrs. Bubblegum this summer to this chart topper.

3. “Blue (Da Bah Dee)” – Eiffel 65

Yo listen up, here’s a story about a little song that nobody has any clue as to what it’s about. But, that’s the magnificence of art, it’s subjective and available to multiple interpretations. It is likely an insightful commentary on 21st century consumerism culture. It might not be. Either way, Eiffel 65 has a beautifully constructed masterpiece in its discography that you should play repeatedly in your car as you cruise through Telegraph Avenue.

4. “My Humps” – Black Eyed Peas

A hit so bad it’s fantastic. Nobody even pretends that they hate this song anymore. So go have a bowl of your favorite cereal, preferably milk with Coco Puffs, and lounge to this one. It’s also a great song to work on homework from your summer class with.

5. “Crank That (Soulja Boy)” – Soulja Boy Tell’em

Don’t even pretend you don’t like this song. We won’t believe you. We bet you still know the dance. Despite its unholy lyrical content, this song was a classic in middle school. Hell, it still is a classic. No one other than rapper extraordinaire, Mr. Soulja Boy Tell’em, has captured the essence of middle school in just four nostalgic minutes. So crank that, Soulja Boy.

Contact Karina Pauletti at 

MAY 15, 2016