BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 01, 2022

Illinois' Mr. Basketball, Charlie Moore, commits to Cal

MAY 18, 2016

Charlie Moore, a four-star point guard recruit and Illinois’ most recent Mr. Basketball, has committed to the Cal basketball team.

The crafty point guard had whittled down his list of collegiate suitors to Memphis, Georgia Tech and Cal, but ultimately decided to join head coach Cuonzo Martin and sophomore Ivan Rabb in the Bay.

Moore is the No. 55 overall prospect in the country, according to Rivals.com, and he excels offensively despite being undersized. At 5-feet-11-inches and 160 pounds, he boasts an impressive outside shot and regularly whips creative passes all around the court. His offensive production will likely be highly relied on in the coming spring with the recent departures of Jaylen Brown and Tyrone Wallace from the Bears’ backcourt.

It’s on defense, however, that Moore will need to improve to earn playing time at the Division 1 level. Martin, however, is the ideal coach to spur that sort of growth out of the young playmaker.

After catching two big fish in 2015’s recruiting season, Cal’s incoming pipeline had gone bone dry until today. Moore will bring excitement and flash to an offense that was regularly anemic this past season.

Contact Austin Isaacsohn at 

MAY 18, 2016