Summer tortellini fry up

Sasha Ashall/Senior Staff

As you’ve read a million times before, summer is here and we at the Clog have been celebrating the arrival of summer produce. This dish uses frozen or fresh store-bought tortellini (ravioli or any other kind of stuffed pasta would work here as well) to make it more economical and doable for students, fresh peas, burst grape tomatoes, prosciutto and lemon creme fraiche. These summery flavors and fresh produce will liven the dish up and hopefully inspire you to play with the beautiful bounty summer brings. Enjoy frying up this delicious one-pan dish in the evening summer sun.

Sasha Ashall/Senior Staff

Sasha Ashall/Senior Staff

Adapted from Smitten Kitchen.

Feeds two for dinner or two to three lunches.

What you’ll need:

1 package of frozen or fresh store bought stuffed pasta (we used fresh spinach and cheese tortellini)

1/4 cup creme fraiche

1 lemon

5 ounces or 1 cup of fresh or frozen peas (we recommend fresh because they’re in season!)

1 cup (a handful or so) of ripe cherry or grape tomatoes

3 to 4 slices of prosciutto

Olive oil

Water

Salt/pepper to taste

Red pepper flakes to taste (optional)

Few leaves of basil or mint (optional)

Sasha Ashall/Senior Staff

Sasha Ashall/Senior Staff

What you’ll do:

1. Take out all your ingredients because this dish takes only about 15 to 20 minutes to prepare, so you want to make sure you have everything on hand.
  2. You’ll want to use a wide frying pan that’s about 1-inch deep. Put your frying pan over a medium-high heat and throw your prosciutto in to crisp up. After two minutes, flip your slices over and cook for two minutes on the other side until browned and crisp.

Sasha Ashall/Senior Staff

Sasha Ashall/Senior Staff

3. Transfer your prosciutto onto a paper towel to drain the excess grease.

Sasha Ashall/Senior Staff

Sasha Ashall/Senior Staff

4. Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil to your pan and dump in your pasta. Fry for 4 to 5 minutes on medium-high heat.

Sasha Ashall/Senior Staff

Sasha Ashall/Senior Staff

5. While your pasta is frying, prick your tomatoes with a knife.
  6. After five minutes, throw your peas and tomatoes into the pan, add salt and pepper and fry for another two to three minutes.

Sasha Ashall/Senior Staff

Sasha Ashall/Senior Staff

7. When your tomatoes are soft and your pasta has some color, add water to your pan. If you’re using frozen pasta, add 1/3 cup of water. If you’re using fresh pasta, use a 1/4 cup of water. Put a lid on the pan and let the pasta steam over medium heat for five minutes.

Sasha Ashall/Senior Staff

Sasha Ashall/Senior Staff

8. While the pasta steams, mix 1/3 cup of creme fraiche with the juice of half a lemon and salt and pepper to taste.

Sasha Ashall/Senior Staff

Sasha Ashall/Senior Staff

9. After five minutes, test a piece of pasta to see if it’s cooked to your desired texture (we went for al dente, which was around five to six minutes).
  10. When cooked, drain any excess water, add the lemon creme fraiche and fry over medium-high heat for two minutes longer or until the creme fraiche is slightly thickened. This would be the time to add red pepper flakes if you’re using them.
  11. If using them, chop up a few leaves of basil or mint.
  12. Plate your pasta and top with basil or mint, if you want.

Sasha Ashall/Senior Staff

Sasha Ashall/Senior Staff

13. Enjoy!

Sasha Ashall is the blog editor. Contact Sasha Ashall at [email protected].