5 fruits and veggies to cook this summer

Juliet Hemmati/Staff

During the school year we can often get caught up in a cycle of studying for midterms and bingeing on junk food. Summer provides us the extra time we need to abandon instant ramen in favor of cooking bright and healthy meals. We at the Clog have come up with fun ways to incorporate the fruits and vegetables currently in season into your diet.

Peaches are often associated with Southern cooking, but we can make good use of them in our California summer dishes. Make a quesadilla with peaches and mozzarella for a sweet take on an easy dish. Or, add some peaches and Greek yogurt to your pancake batter for a healthier breakfast.  

Watermelons, whose crunch we looked forward to as kids on hot summer days, can be incorporated into adult cooking. Be bold and try adding sliced watermelon into your next tofu stir fry. Alternatively, combine smaller watermelon chunks with feta and some fresh mint for a refreshing bruschetta.

Juliet Hemmati/Staff

Juliet Hemmati/Staff

While all of us might not get the chance to go strawberry picking this summer, there are still many opportunities for us to enjoy this tasty treat. Chop some strawberries up and add them to your next kale salad for some extra flavor. Or sweeten up your fiery tacos by using strawberries and basil in your salsa instead of tomatoes and cilantro.

Juliet Hemmati/Staff

Juliet Hemmati/Staff

Corn is a traditional summer barbecue favorite, but as college students with little to no access to a grill, we can be at a loss as to how to prepare it. Throw some corn and black beans into your guacamole instead of tomatoes for added texture. Alternatively, simply “grill” corn in the oven and top it with parmesan, cayenne pepper and garlic powder for an extra kick.

Juliet Hemmati/Staff

Juliet Hemmati/Staff

Finally, there’s the unnecessarily intimidating summer squash that’s surprisingly simple to work with. Add some excitement to your leftover chili by putting it into a hollowed-out squash “bowl” and baking it in the broiler, topped off with some cheddar cheese. For a crispy treat with less guilt than traditional potato chips, bake thin squash slices in the oven with some olive oil and thyme.

Juliet Hemmati/Staff

Juliet Hemmati/Staff

Contact Juliet Hemmati at [email protected].