Tofu garlic noodles

Taylor Follett/Staff

Everybody knows it — college students can only make noodles and pasta. When the endless slew of pasta with red sauce and ramen becomes too much for you, we have a noodle recipe that’s still simple but might change things up a little.

The majority of this recipe is strictly to taste with no specific measurements. Want more tofu? Go for it. Want less garlic? It’s up to you.

What you need:

Taylor Follett/Staff

Taylor Follett/Staff

• Tofu
  • Fresh garlic
  • Noodles — we used lo mein noodles
  • Hoisin sauce (optional)

What to do:

Taylor Follett/Staff

Taylor Follett/Staff

1. Cut up the tofu into small squares and put it into a pan over medium-low heat. Mix hoisin sauce in.
  2. While you’re cooking the tofu, bring a pot three-quarters full of water to boil over medium-high heat.
  3. Use a spatula to occasionally stir the tofu squares and make sure that they aren’t sticking to the pan.
  4. When the tofu squares are golden brown, they’re done. Keep a close eye on them, as it’s easy to let them cook for too long and burn them. Once they’re done, put them aside in a bowl or container. Don’t leave them in the pan you used, because the heat of the pan can still overcook them.

Taylor Follett/Staff

Taylor Follett/Staff

5. By now, your water should be boiling. Put your noodles in — this is the easiest part of the recipe. Most noodles take three to seven minutes to cook, depending on the type of noodle. As a college student, you’re probably a noodle- and pasta-making expert. We won’t bother to try to tell you how to make them.
  6. Once the noodles are done, put them in a colander to drain.

Taylor Follett/Staff

Taylor Follett/Staff

7. As the noodles are draining, use a garlic crusher to crush the fresh garlic. If you don’t have a garlic crusher, you can also dice the garlic yourself with a sharp knife. We started with one clove of garlic, but ended up adding another half of a clove. We recommend you start either with half a clove or a clove, depending on how garlicky you like your food.
  8. Mix the crushed garlic in a bowl with olive oil.

Taylor Follett/Staff

Taylor Follett/Staff

9. Put the drained noodles into a bowl or back into the pot you used to cook them. Mix in the olive oil garlic mixture and the tofu slowly.
  10. Make sure to try some to figure out if you want more garlic!
  11. Once you’ve dished up your meal, we at the Clog recommend adding hoisin sauce to your noodles, if you like that sort of thing. If you’re looking to add some veggies to your life, this meal goes well with an Asian side salad, easily found at most grocery stores. Enjoy!

Contact Taylor Follett at [email protected].