Fact or fiction: UC Berkeley edition

Leslie Toy/Senior Staff
A large crowd gathers on Memorial Glade to hear Representative Ron Paul speak.

With almost 150 years of history, Berkeley comes with loads of history and traditions. Do you think you know Berkeley like the back of your hand? See if you can tell what is true and what isn’t.

1. Oski the Bear hasn’t always been our mascot. Instead, we used to have live bear cubs to cheer us on.
    1. Fact
    2. Fiction
  2. Fact. Yikes! It is both wildly cool and slightly frightening to think that an actual bear resided on campus.
    1. Next question
  3. Berkelium is an element in the periodic table, and it was discovered at Berkeley.
    1. Fact
    2. Fiction
  4.  Fact. It’s pretty rad that we’ve got an element named after us. Not to mention, we’re the only university that can actually say that!
    1. Next question
  5. Rube Goldberg, a Berkeley alumnus, first came up with the idea for his cartoons while he was at a UC Berkeley reunion.
    1. Fact
    2. Fiction
  6. Fiction. OK, this may be untrue but who knows? Maybe his struggles as a UC Berkeley engineering student may have subconsciously given him the idea to draw wackily inefficient machines.
    1. Next question
  7. There are underground steam tunnels right under our feet in the campus.
    1. Fact
    2. Fiction
  8. Fact. Pretty cool, huh? There’s a legend that a chancellor once used the tunnels to escape when student protesters chained his doors. It’s too bad they’re locked up now because if underground tunnels don’t sound like a surefire route to adventure, then we don’t know what does.
    1. Next question
  9. The tradition of rolling down 4.0 hill started when a Berkeley student was running late to his first midterm and, in his haste, tumbled down what is now 4.0 hill. Relatively unscathed, he proceeded to his impending doom, aka his exams. But lo and behold, he somehow aced all of them and landed the elusive 4.0. Of course it had to be the hill.
    1. Fact
    2. Fiction
  10. Fiction. So, that may not have been the true origin story of 4.0 hill. But at Berkeley, we need all the luck we can get, so you might as well take a roll down the hill yourself. It never hurts to try.
    1. Next question
  11. Many buildings were used as references while designing the architecture of Azkaban in the Harry Potter movies. Evans Hall was one of them.
    1. Fact
    2. Fiction
  12. Fiction. Alright, despite some similarities between Azkaban and Evans Hall, that may still be far fetched. Although, most people won’t argue against Evans Hall being one of Berkeley’s ugliest buildings. Now that’s a solid fact.
    1. Next question
  13. Among many things, Berkeley can take the credit for starting the awesome event during sport games that is card stunts.
    1. Fact
    2. Fiction
  14. Fact. And is it surprising that the very first card stunt was of the Stanford Axe and a large blue “C”?

Now you know a little bit more about our historic school. Make sure the dementors in Evans Hall don’t suck your soul out — just let the Math 16A discussion section do that.

Contact Zeyana Musthafa at [email protected].