Daulton Jefferies drafted 37th overall by Oakland Athletics

Aslesha Kumar/File

Pitcher Daulton Jefferies has been selected with the 37th overall pick of the 2016 MLB Draft by the Oakland Athletics.

Jefferies compiled a 7-0 record with a 1.08 ERA during his last year at Cal. The Atwater, California, native also recorded a career best in strikeouts per nine innings (9.54 K/BB) while throwing career lows in walks and hits per innings pitched (0.84 WHIP) and walks per nine innings (1.44 BB/9). Overall, Jefferies leaves Cal with a 2.72 ERA and 185 strikeouts over three years.

“I’m so thankful for the opportunity,” Jefferies said to Cal Athletics. “This moment is what I’ve been working towards my whole life, and to be with my family on this day is very special. However, there is still work to be done.”

Jefferies dominated opponents in the early part of the 2016 season for the Bears, owning a 1.29 ERA before he went down with injury before his start against UCLA on April 1. He spend almost two months nursing shoulder and leg injuries before throwing three innings of shutout baseball against Utah on May 23. Jefferies would make one more start for the Bears, tossing a one-hitter against Washington State on May 28.

With this pick, Jefferies is Cal’s highest drafted player since 2009, when the Chicago Cubs drafted Brett Jackson with the 31st overall pick in the 2009 draft.

Chris Tril covers baseball. Contact him at [email protected].