Summer Starbucks hacks

Caroline Lageson/Courtesy

With all the coffee we drink as college students, getting the same plain old drip coffee can be bland. We spoke to a Starbucks employee about some of the cool drinks people have ordered from the secret menu and some other interesting tips for ordering the best drink and saving money. So next time you need a pick-me-up during a long study session, head over to your nearest Starbucks and try these interesting drinks!

Creative frappuccinos

The Cookies and Cream Frappuccino is perfect for any chocolate lover. All you have to do is order a double chocolate chip frappuccino and ask to switch out the regular mocha sauce for the white mocha sauce. When all of these delicious components come together, you’ll have a delicious frozen Oreo concoction.

To get a delicious and refreshing Mint Chocolate Chip Frappuccino, you can order a vanilla bean frapp with chocolate chips and add a pump of peppermint syrup. You can also order a green tea frappuccino and add peppermint syrup and java chips.

For a Neapolitan frapp, order a strawberries and cream frappuccino and add vanilla bean powder. Also, add a pump of mocha syrup and top it off with mocha drizzle. And there you go, a Neapolitan frappuccino!

The Snickers frappuccino is simple and delicious. All you have to do is order a java chip frappuccino and add toffee nut syrup and caramel drizzle. It tastes like the real thing!

For another candy bar-flavored treat try the Twix frappuccino by ordering a caramel frappuccino with pumps of hazelnut syrup. Top it off with some java chips and ask for extra caramel.

For an extra energy frappuccino, you can order any frappuccino with a “floating shot” on top. This will give you an extra shot of espresso in your drink for days when you’re really feeling low on energy. We hear that this is especially good to try with a mocha frappuccino!

This one is super simple and truly delicious for summer — cotton candy. All you have to do is order a vanilla bean frappuccino and ask for pumps of raspberry syrup (according to the size you order).

Other unique drinks to try

The “Dirty Oprah” is definitely out of left field but we promise it’s good! It’s made of Oprah chai tea syrup, hot water, steamed milk and an added shot of espresso (hence the “dirty” adjective). Don’t be embarrassed to order this delicious drink! It’s worth the confused stares.

If you are sensitive to caffeine, this definitely isn’t the drink for you. Come finals season, this drink packs a punch with its high caffeine contents. The Starbucks double shot is made by first shaking shots of espresso with ice and your choice of syrup and milk. This drink has double the amount of shots of a normal drink size so be ready to be wired. You can also customize it by adding sweeteners such as vanilla, sugar-free vanilla, caramel, sugar-free caramel, cinnamon dolce, sugar-free cinnamon dolce, toffee nut, peppermint — the list goes on! So next time you’re thinking of just ordering plain old iced coffee, try this drink for an extra boost of energy.

Money saving tips

Linger in the store or keep your cup, Starbucks does refills on standard drinks for 50 cents! Sure beats spending three or four dollars on another drink.

If you have a birthday reward from Starbucks, there are a few ways to stretch it so you get the most value from it. Many people don’t know, but you can also buy a food item with your birthday reward. So if you’re hungry, purchase one of the panini sandwiches for seven dollars. This will most likely cost a lot more than a standard drink.

If you’re fine with making your barista crazy, this insane drink is the perfect birthday gift for you. Order a Trenta (yes, there is a size above a Venti — it’s a 32 ounce drink that only comes in iced form) Mocha Frapp with added vanilla syrup, soy milk, added java chips and 150 shots, so be prepared to not sleep until next summer break. This drink will come out to be around $100, so if you order this, please be sure to leave your barista a good tip. 

Make the most out of specials by looking at your phone because Starbucks has a lot of deals such as “Frapp Hour” where it offers buy one get one free frappuccino or buy a five dollar gift card for a friend and get a five dollar gift card for yourself. Take advantage of these deals and head over to Starbucks with a friend for a study break. 

This tip is for the truly thrifty at heart. Be strategic with the drink size you order. We learned that if you ask for a Grande size in a Venti cup you will get more drink because the barista will be less likely to rip you off with a cup full of ice. You’ll be sure to get more bang for your buck!

Contact Allison David at [email protected].