Happy Skywalker withdraws from running for District 3 City Council seat

Happy Skywalker, who filed to run for the Berkeley City Council District 3 seat June 9, is no longer participating in the election.

Current District 3 Councilmember Max Anderson will be ending his time on the City Council after serving 12 years. He will not run for re-election, leaving the seat vacant for potential candidates.

Skywalker said that because of the “political climate” in Berkeley, she has decided to withdraw from the election. She could not be reached for further comment.

Among the other candidates still in the race for District 3 are Ben Bartlett, Mark Coplan, Deborah Matthews and Al Murray. According to Coplan, John Selawsky, a Rent Stabilization Board commissioner who filed to run early in November 2015, is also no longer running in the election.

District 3 stretches from Sacramento Street to Ellsworth Street, encompassing the middle section of the city’s southern region.

Skywalker is currently the director of marketing at Abilicorp, a business consulting corporation that focuses on improving employment opportunities for people with disabilities, according to her LinkedIn profile. Before serving as director of marketing at Abilicorp, Skywalker spent almost six years as a self-employed front-end web developer, blogger and social media specialist and then two years as a webmaster for Toastmasters International, an organization that focuses on communication and leadership development.

Skywalker remains active on social media platforms, advocating for changes in gun control policy and volunteers for the homeless and hunger charities.

Bartlett and Murray were aware that Skywalker was running but said they did not know much about her political platforms.

“I definitely think she’s a bright person, and I’d love to help her with whatever she decides to do in the future,” Bartlett said.

Coplan had no prior knowledge of Skywalker’s candidacy.

Nominations for City Council seats remain open until Aug. 12. The general election will take place Nov. 8.

Contact Roann Pao at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @roann_pao.