Tunesday: Summer jams

The summer we once craved in the midst of final exams and papers is finally here in the form of beach days, ice cream cones and late-night drives. With no more study sessions or trips to the library (for a good three months), we can finally sleep in and take some time to relax. A blend of fast and slow paced tunes, this playlist might just finally put you in summer mode and let you enjoy the sun.

“First” by Cold War Kids

“First,” released in 2014 from Cold War Kids’ Hold My Home, sheds light onto the painfully honest realities of a breakup, from the first moment to the last. In describing the spectrum of emotions one experiences after splitting from someone, the band croons, “Flying like a cannonball, falling to the earth / Heavy as a feather when you hit the dirt.” The strong vocals mixed with desire and regret create the perfect backdrop for a late-night summer drive.

“i hate u, i love u” by Gnash

An American singer, songwriter, producer and DJ who rose to stardom in 2015, Gnash does it all. “i hate u, i love u” illustrates the frustrations of falling in love with someone who does not share the same feelings. As feature artist Olivia O’Brien softly sings, “Feeling used / But I’m / Still missing you / And I can’t / See the end of this,” Gnash replies, “You’re still in love with me but your friends don’t know / If you wanted me you would just say so.” On one side, you see someone who is afraid of being vulnerable and sharing how she feels, while on the other side, you see someone else who is frustrated with the lack of communication. The song speaks to those who are looking for a soft-spoken tune to relax to on the beach.

“Unsteady (Erich Lee Gravity Remix)” by X Ambassadors

Perfect for a hot, summer day, this Erich Lee Gravity remix is featured in the “Me Before You” original film soundtrack. An American rock band from New York, the four person group focuses on the relationships between parents and their children. As a child witnesses a possible break up between his or her parents, X Ambassadors croons, “Hold, hold on, hold onto me / ‘Cause I’m a little unsteady,” to detail the swirl of emotions the child must be feeling. Blending an orchestrated sound to the original tune, this alternative version tells the same heartbreak with a differed reaction.

“Me & The Rhythm” by Selena Gomez

An inspiration to young girls all over the world, Selena Gomez has reached new heights with her latest album Revival. Encompassing tunes ranging from “Same Old Love” to “Kill Em With Kindness,” this record is perfect for going out and losing yourself on the dance floor. “Me & The Rhythm” features sounds ranging from solid vocals and disco all while blending percussion. The quick beats intertwined with Gomez’s confident voice create a soothing, heartfelt sound for her album. Whether it is dancing, going for a ride or simply working out, this song is for you.

“Fall For Your Type” by Jamie Foxx

A throwback featuring Drake, this downtempo ballad describes the frustrations of falling for the same type of person over and over again. The tune channels hip-hop with slower, more somber vocals. By recounting the what-ifs and could-haves of a previous relationship, the duo successfully create a low-keyed number perfect for relaxing and relieving oneself of any tension.

You can listen to this week’s Tunesday above. Follow Daily Cal A&E on Spotify!

Contact Mana Anvar at [email protected].