BERKELEY'S NEWS • DECEMBER 09, 2022

Studying for finals? Read our puzzles special instead!

What UC Berkeley students need

JULY 05, 2016

Before heading off to college, you probably Googled something along the lines of “what do I need to bring to college?” As helpful as the suggestions for a desk lamp or even an electric blanket might be, we at the Clog feel that us Berkeley students need a couple of other things that the lists don’t often mention.

You better have a good pair of walking shoes and some stamina because there’s going to be a lot of walking involved if you want to get anywhere. And if you’re the totally unfit type, then you’ll probably rule out the Recreational Sports Facility. Who needs it when you can get a low-key workout just by walking all the way from the Units to Soda Hall and back?

You’ll definitely need friends to cry and struggle with. Getting absolutely wrecked in your classes may feel like the end of the world when you’re on your own, but when you have friends who are right there with you or have been there at some point (because come on, we’ve all been there) then it feels a tad bit less sucky.

If only we could freeze time around us to have a bit of extra time to work on that assignment minutes before the deadline. Or just to squeeze in some free time to binge watch on Netflix. It’s in our nature as Berkeley students to want to get involved in as many things as possible, but there never seems to be enough time in the day to do all the things we want to do. We all need some more time.

You’re going to need some luck. Cross your fingers. Wear a lucky charm. Carry around your lucky blanket. Do what you’ve got to do because with all that grade deflation and some really difficult assignments, you’re going to want to gather whatever luck you can get.

Figuring out the art of walking through Sproul unscathed is a skill in and of itself that takes mental and physical preparation and being a pro at walking past people without making eye contact. It is a skill that is acquired through many trials and errors.

You cannot be a true UC Berkeley student unless your wardrobe is cluttered with T-shirts, sweaters, hats, socks showing off your Cal pride. There’s no such thing as too much Cal gear.

Those are just some of the things Berkeley students need. Some may be more wishful thinking than a shopping list, but that’s OK.

Contact Zeyana Musthafa at [email protected].

JULY 04, 2016