Picks of the week: Midsummer adventures

Summer has been flying by and as we approach mid-July, most of us are trying to soak in our time away from the library and lecture halls as much as possible. With more free time on our hands, these picks might just help you cram in a few adventures by relaxing and staying in summer mode before the school year begins.

Wednesday: “Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

After a long day of surfing or simply relaxing on the beach, enjoy a free screening of “Indiana Jones” overlooking the glimmer of roller coaster lights at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk at 9 p.m. With the smell of water as salty as french fries hanging in the air, bring your blankets, chairs and friends and enjoy some popcorn on this cozy night out. And if you are around, make sure to catch other free movies such as “The Labyrinth,” “My Big Fat Greek Wedding” and “The Wizard of Oz” playing at the boardwalk all summer long.

Thursday: National Mac & Cheese Day

The best day of the year is back – this time at Homeroom, Oakland’s favorite mac and cheese restaurant. Celebrate the holiday with live music, the four-cheese mac special and free Peanut Butter Piereo ice cream sandwiches (made with delicious Oreo cookies) for the first 100 guests who dine in after 4 p.m. Take your friends and go explore Jack London Square afterwards – it really can’t get any better than this.

Saturday: Stand-up Comedy “Cheaper Than Therapy

Looking for a healthy dose of laughter? San Francisco’s Shelton Theater, a nonprofit organization, is hosting an evening of stand-up comedy with some of the Bay Area’s best comedians at 10 p.m. Produced by Eloisa Bravo, Scott Simpson and Jon Allen, the show is a great way to unwind after a long week while learning that laughter is the best remedy for anything. Later in the night, there is an after party at the local bar for everyone over 21 – don’t miss it!

Sunday: Yoga

Yoga to the People, a donation-based studio, is hosting one-hour yoga classes in Berkeley and San Francisco for those looking to find inner peace. Welcoming people of all ages, the sessions aim at strengthening the body and mind while maintaining flexibility and balance. Join the instructors for a candle-lit session – a perfect way to de-stress before the school year begins.

Contact Mana Anvar at [email protected].