Jared Goff taking first steps to leading Los Angeles Rams

Jared Goff has left behind quite the legacy. With 43 touchdowns and an astonishing 161.2 quarterback rating last year, Goff emerged and established himself as one of the best players in all of college football and was named to the 2015 First Team All Pac-12. But it was not just his most recent junior campaign that showed Goff’s promising potential. Throughout his three-year collegiate career, Goff secured his spot as one of Cal’s best collegiate quarterbacks of all time, surpassing former NFL MVP and former Cal signal caller Aaron Rodgers in nearly every statistical category.

Goff started all of his 37 games played in blue and gold, including every game of his true freshman season. He set 26 Cal records, including passing yards, passing yards per game, touchdown passes and total offense. The 6-foot-4 California native also ranked third and fourth all time for Pac-12 passing yards and passing touchdowns respectively.

To finish his collegiate career, Goff enjoyed a record-setting victory over Air Force in the Lockheed Martin Armed Forced Bowl. He set the Bowl’s single game record, passing for 467 yards along with six touchdowns, leading Cal to its first bowl victory since 2008. Goff improved Cal’s record by seven games over two years, from a 1-11 season in 2013 to an 8-5 season in 2015, while proving himself as a cornerstone for a developing team. In the meantime, Goff commanded the respect of his teammates and was voted captain by them prior to his sophomore and junior year. His captainship certainly showed his maturity and probably elevated his draft position as young NFL quarterbacks usually struggle with receiving respect.

Many NFL Draft analysts foresaw Goff being taken quite highly in the 2016 Draft. The Tennessee Titans, who had the first pick of the 2016 draft and were undergoing a complete rebuild, received numerous offers from teams that were interested in trading for the rights to Goff.

After winning the bid to relocate from St. Louis, the now Los Angeles Rams likely felt the championship pressure that being in L.A. brings. With the Dodgers, Lakers, and Kings in town, the city and its fans are accustomed to winning. Last year, the Rams ended an awful season, finishing below .500 without a playoff spot. So the Rams offered first, second and third-round picks over the next three years to the Titans in return for the first-overall pick in 2016, among other assets. To nobody’s surprise, the Rams — in desperate need of a quarterback — selected Goff.

Being a California native, with the ability to stay calm under pressure and impeccably read defenses, Goff was thought to be a draft steal for the Rams, who originally only had the 15th pick. He soon signed a four-year deal worth $27.9 million, with more than $18.5 million of it guaranteed. Goff’s footwork, pocket presence and sheer size made him a perfect fit for the Ram’s pass heavy offense.

His exceptional consistency in the redzone at Cal is exactly what the Rams need this upcoming year. Goff’s calm, collected and mature personality should help him adjust to the LA lifestyle and should play a big role in the Ram’s success.

But Goff’s skills and personality aren’t the only thing going for him, as he has an extremely dedicated work ethic. Goff has been working out this entire summer and on July 27 he led the rookies into summer training camp. Goff should have no problem adjusting to the NFL and possesses the tools to become the next great quarterback out of Cal. And, just like he did at Cal, Goff has the skills and potential to statistically beat out Rodgers in his NFL career.

Goff was selected to be the face of the new Rams franchise for years to come. And just like he turned around an abysmal Cal team from one win to eight wins over two years, he has the aptitude and the capability to turn around the homecoming Rams into title contenders, once again giving football hope back to the City of Angels.

Contact Siva Sambasivam, the Daily Californian’s youngest reporter ever, at [email protected].