BERKELEY'S NEWS • FEBRUARY 04, 2023

Ring in the New Year with our 2023 New Year's Special Issue!

Oakland police charges man involved in car chase, Berkeley collision

|

Staff

JULY 29, 2016

Oakland-area California Highway Patrol charged an Oakland resident for crimes relating to an alleged car theft felony and a car chase earlier this month that ended with a collision into a concrete wall on University Avenue in Berkeley.

On July 12, the suspect — 31-year-old Alonzo Choyce — was driving a 2016 Ford van when he was stopped by officers at 23rd Street and Martin Luther King Jr. Way in Oakland for a traffic violation, according to California Highway Patrol spokesperson Sean Wilkenfeld.

“Choyce immediately began attempting to flee from our officers, and a pursuit was initiated,” Wilkenfeld said.

Wilkenfield noted that the pursuit was discontinued because of the suspect’s reckless driving but added that once other officers spotted the car heading toward the freeway on West Grand Avenue and Frontage Road in Oakland, the chase was resumed. The chase ended when Choyce crashed the Ford van into a concrete wall after exiting the freeway at University Avenue, Wilkenfeld added.

After the crash incident at 11:58 p.m, officers arrested both Choyce and the van’s passenger, Don Thomas, a 39-year-old Oakland resident.

Choyce is accused of multiple crimes — including evading police, vehicle theft, possession of burglary tools and driving on a suspended license. The passenger, Thomas, was arrested on drug charges and an outstanding warrant.

Oakland-area California Highway Patrol conducted an investigation and found that the vehicle Choyce was driving had license plates for another vehicle mounted on it, which officers suspect was an effort to conceal the fact that the car had been stolen.

Choyce is being held in custody at Santa Rita Jail in Dublin, California, according to online records from the Alameda County Sheriff’s Office.

Choyce is scheduled for a hearing Aug. 23 at the René C. Davidson Alameda County Courthouse.

Contact Roann Pao at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @roann_pao.

JULY 31, 2016