James Reagan withdraws from District 2 City Council election

On Tuesday, former candidate James Reagan announced his withdrawal from the District 2 Berkeley City Council elections race.

Reagan’s withdrawal leaves three candidates — Nanci Armstrong-Temple, Cheryl Davila and incumbent Darryl Moore — currently running for the District 2 seat. Moore, who was first elected in 2004, filed his intent to rerun for the seat in February.

In a statement, Reagan endorsed Davila’s candidacy and expressed his gratitude for city residents’ support.

“I’ve met many great residents in our district over the past year,” Reagan said. “People who envision a better Berkeley, a city that will hear their voices and truly work for them. I personally thank each and every one for their support and only ask that a vote for Cheryl is the right choice in November.”

Reagan served as a human welfare commissioner between 2010 and 2014. He was the Government and Community Relations Advisory Board member of People’s Park from 2007 to 2010.

District 2 represents the southwestern region of the city, from the Berkeley Marina in the west to Sacramento Street in the east. It is bordered by the cities of Oakland and Emeryville.

Cassandra Vogel is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @cass_vogxz.