The struggles of living in the residence halls

Desiree Diaz/File

Most UC Berkeley students will spend at least a year living in one of the residence halls. It doesn’t take too long to getting used to the way of life in a residence hall, but after a couple of weeks most people will come to realize the struggles.

The elevators you’ll encounter in the residence halls will probably be some of the slowest you’ll come across in your life. And if you stay on one of the higher floors in Unit 3, you’re going to learn the art of patience just from waiting for the elevators. Alternatively, you could add an extra workout to your day by simply giving up and taking the stairs. When it reaches the point where you can get down faster by stairs, then you know there’s something abysmally wrong with the elevator.

Unless you lucked out with a mini suite, you’ll probably have to endure the tiny space of a triple room. And we at the Clog can safely assume that most of our rooms won’t be in an uncluttered state for long. So entering a room that looks like it was just robbed during an earthquake becomes the norm. As long as you can still walk to your room and your trash isn’t overflowing onto the floor, then that’s probably as good as it will get.

It’s already enough of a struggle that we have to do laundry on our own. On top of that you need to time when you do your laundry right so that you don’t end up having to lug everything down there just to find all the machines are being used. What’s even worse is when the washing machine stops accepting your Cal 1 Card for no reason whatsoever and you’re forced to scrounge for quarters.

We all know the bother of getting locked out of our rooms when all we wanted was to leave for a couple of minutes. The worst is when you’ve just gotten back from the shower and you have to go downstairs and grab a spare key with only a towel wrapped around you.

It’s a quickly learned fact that the walls of the residence halls are not soundproof whatsoever. There’s no better way to get to know your next-door neighbors than by being forced to listen to them belting out to a song or accidentally hearing their very personal conversations.

Everybody knows there’s the word “study” before “lounge,” but more often than not, it’ll end up as the place for socializing, which is great and all until you realize it’s midnight and you haven’t even started your homework that’s due in a couple of hours. Or there’s the times when the lounge will just be full and you have to make your way to other floors until you find an empty one.

Still, despite the struggles, staying in the residence halls can be a super fun experience and most people find their closest friends while they’re staying in one.

Contact Zeyana Musthafa at [email protected].