Just about everyone loves enchiladas. Now there’s a way to enjoy them with a healthy serving of veggies and fewer carbs. Zucchini boat enchiladas taste like the real deal and are also fun to make. And just because this recipe is supposed to be healthy, doesn’t mean we’ve left out the cheesy topping. So go ahead and start scooping into your zucchinis!
What you’ll need:
3/4 can black beans
3/4 can corn
3/4 cup enchilada sauce
3/4 cup Mexican blend cheese
5 finely chopped green onions
3/4 chopped green bell pepper
1 finely chopped Serrano pepper
2 teaspoons taco seasoning
salt and pepper to taste
What you’ll do:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut your zucchinis down the middle, lengthwise.
- Scoop out the insides of the zucchinis using a small spoon and leave a 1/4 inch thick wall.
- Finely chop the zucchini flesh.
- In a medium-sized pan, cook the bell pepper, Serrano pepper and most of the onion until tender, about three minutes.
- Add in the zucchini, corn, black beans and salt and pepper to taste, and cook for four minutes.
- Add in the taco seasoning and two tablespoons of enchilada sauce, and cook for another four minutes.
- Pour 1/4 cup of enchilada sauce onto a baking dish and place the zucchinis on top.
- Pack 1/4 cup of veggies into each zucchini boat.
- Top each zucchini boat with two tablespoons of enchilada sauce, followed by two tablespoons of cheese.
- Wrap the baking dish with aluminum foil.
- Cook in the oven until the zucchinis are completely cooked, about 40 minutes.
- Garnish with your remaining green onions.
Contact Juliet Hemmati at [email protected].