All of summer in five days

Liz Zarka/File

In T-minus six days, we’re going to be packing up our backpacks and walking up those infamous Berkeley hills to make it to lecture by ten after. For those of us who have been traveling or Netflix-surfing all summer, we’re somewhat (barely) ready and willing to go back to school — if only to see our friends. But for those of us who have been working or studying, it feels like we haven’t even had a summer. We at the Clog understand your struggle, and we’re ready to help you squeeze an entire summer into the time you’ve got left.

Friday: Outdoor adventure day

For many, summer means tons of time outdoors, whether you’re hiking, at the beach or just reveling in the fact that you don’t have to be in a lecture hall for hours on end. Grab some friends, a car, a cooler and some towels and head to the nearest beach for a day. Ocean Beach in San Francisco, Lake Anza in Tilden Park, Muir Beach in Muir Woods and Stinson Beach in Marin County are all within an hour by car (depending on traffic) and reputed to be nice NorCal beaches.

Continue your outdoor day in the afternoon by strapping on your hiking shoes — or just normal tennis shoes — and exploring some of the trails nearby. If you’re staying around Berkeley, you could go to the fire trails or any of the hiking trails in Tilden Park. If you chose Muir Beach or Stinson Beach for your beach day, make the most of the gas money and explore Muir Woods or Mount Tamalpais. If you ended up at Ocean Beach, try hiking Lands End, Mount Davidson or Twin Peaks. Make sure to bring enough water!

Friday Night: Stargazing

If you’re not too tired from beaches and hiking earlier, you could finish off your outdoor adventure day by walking up to the Big C or taking the bus out to the Berkeley Marina with friends. Enjoy being surrounded by nature, even in the city. If it’s not too cloudy or light polluted, see some stars.

Saturday: Tourist day

Tons of people act like tourists over summer vacation, and this time, you’ll be no different. Grab a San Francisco guidebook from a nearby bookstore, even if you’re a Bay Area native. We at the Clog like the Lonely Planet guidebooks. And if you’re careful with the book, it’ll make a great Christmas present for your parents to use when they come visit you. Add a fanny pack, a Hawaiian shirt and some bright walking shoes to your ensemble and get on BART to head to the city. Visit popular tourist attractions like Pier 39 or Lombard Street, and follow recommendations in the guidebook to places you’ve never been. Bonus points if you’re wearing embarrassing socks and using a selfie stick. This should take up the whole day, but if you’re still looking for something to do, you could always go to the Giants vs. Mets game at 1:05 p.m. After all, AT&T Park is a must-visit for many tourists.

Saturday Night: Hit the town

Now that your friends who were gone all summer are rolling into Berkeley, get as many of them together as you can for a night out. Either stay in the city for dinner and drinks or get together back in Berkeley for some quality time.

Sunday: Netflix marathon day

Sundays are good for exactly two things: sleeping in and brunch. Start your week off right by not starting the week until eleven at the absolute earliest. Once you’re awake, don’t bother moving — just reach for your laptop and hit play on Netflix. When you finally feel hungry, drag yourself to your favorite brunch place with your closest friends and/or significant other. Don’t worry if it’s 2 p.m., since brunch is a state of mind. Once you’re done there, go back to your bed and let autoplay work its magic.

Sunday Night: Slumber party

There’s no reason why you should stop your Netflix, but add some more people and some popcorn to the mix. Get your friends to have an end-of-summer sleepover with you, just like in your middle school days. If you have a video game console, now is the time to turn it on. If you have board games, break them out. If you just want to watch movies all night, more power to you.

Monday: Prep day

All good things must come to an end, and you’re nearing the end of summer, both the mini-vacation you’ve squeezed in and the real three-month one. In order to fully enjoy your last day of summer, take today to glance over those syllabi on bCourses, order any books you’ll need in the first couple weeks of school, find your classes if you don’t already know where they are and get your backpack ready. If this isn’t your style, just do whatever you usually do to prepare for school starting. This is probably also a good time to go to the grocery store and do laundry. Once you’ve finished all that, though, return to your Netflix marathon or take a leisurely walk to enjoy freedom before your inevitable doom come Wednesday.

Monday Night: Last party of the summer

Get friends together for the last time of the season for a summer-themed bash, if you’re so inclined. Pretend as though you’re in the tropics, or just as carefree as people who don’t have to face the Berkeley curves on Wednesday. Serve guava juice and Hawaiian pizza, play some tropical music and if you’re over 21, add some tropical cocktails. This is your last chance for a while to (responsibly) party on a weeknight without it being considered slacking off, so take advantage of the opportunity. You don’t really need to go to bed before 2 a.m., right?

Tuesday: Treat yourself day

Don’t do anything today that you don’t want to do. Sleep in late. Get a pedicure. Buy that cool watch you’ve been eyeing for a while. Get a fresh new haircut. Whatever it is, treat yourself. We at the Clog can only help you so much with this, since we don’t know what it is you really want, but let us be the ones to tell you — follow your relaxation-based dreams. This is your last chance until December, probably.

Tuesday night: Go to sleep early

You’re going to be sleep deprived enough pretty soon. Don’t start the sleep debt early.

Enjoy the last few days of your summer, Bears. See you on the 24th.

Contact Taylor Follett at [email protected].