School supplies you will need for upcoming semester

Anya Schultz/File

The start of the semester heralds one of the most exciting moments in anyone’s life: back-to-school supply shopping. As you brave the crowds at Staples, Walgreens and Target on Shattuck Avenue, there are certain supplies that you absolutely cannot forget to buy. We at the Clog are here to remind you of what you really need this semester.

Crayons

Taylor Follett/Senior Staff

Taylor Follett/Senior Staff

You never know when you need to color. Picture this: You’re sitting in lecture one day, and your Biology 1A professor shows the class an image of a plant cell. How on earth could you accurately get that information down? Pull out your handy crayons, sketch the cell and then color that chlorophyll in so you don’t get it confused with an animal cell. There is no way you can succeed without them.

Document holder

Taylor Follett/Senior Staff

Taylor Follett/Senior Staff

Picture this: You have to quote various texts in your paper that’s due tomorrow, but every time you go to type, the book you’re quoting from falls shut. You lose valuable time going through it to find the right page again and never write a single word. How can you avoid this critical mistake? A typing stand — which is a small easel that you clip papers to so it can hold them up — is absolutely crucial to your academic success. What else could you possibly do?

Quills and ink

Taylor Follett/Senior Staff

Taylor Follett/Senior Staff

Forget about pens and pencils — make your notes and homework look like you’re in Harry Potter with a quill and ink set. You’re sure to get everyone’s attention in your 8 a.m. lecture when you pull out an inkwell and try to write without spilling ink all over yourself and everything. Plus, it makes you really absorb the information, since you have to write so slowly and pause after every page so you don’t smear the ink. This is also the perfect conversation starter to use with that cute person sitting next to you in the North Reading Room. They’re sure to notice you if you drip ink on their books.

Pocket protector

Evanil Mendes/Creative Commons

Evanil Mendes/Creative Commons

Don’t you hate it when you forget to shut your pen before you put it in your breast pocket and then you ruin a perfectly good shirt? You spend money on a great top and then see a horrible pen stain spreading out from your chest like you were stabbed in the heart. You definitely need a pocket protector on a daily basis to stop this from happening. Why did these ever go out of style? These are especially useful if you’re a computer science major.

Washi tape

Taylor Follett/Senior Staff

Taylor Follett/Senior Staff

Notebooks, binders and pencils are so unexciting these days. You absolutely need to dress them up and show your personality by wrapping washi tape all over everything you own. Make your supplies look as cool as you can, even if the tape makes it impossible for your to sharpen your pencils. Heck, tape your notebooks shut. They’re just for show anyway, who cares about what’s inside.

Label maker

Taylor Follett/Senior Staff

Taylor Follett/Senior Staff

How the heck will you know what things are if you don’t label them? A label maker is an essential for any successful student. You can go to town labeling your notebooks, furniture, residence hall room, backpack and friends with subject titles, object names, your own name and kind remarks. Mark your territory with labels.

Decorative eraser

Taylor Follett/Senior Staff

Taylor Follett/Senior Staff

Don’t use an eraser to erase things. Use them to decorate the tops of your pencils instead. Maybe you can even find an Oski one! Need we say more?

Pocket watch

Taylor Follett/Senior Staff

Taylor Follett/Senior Staff

Sometimes normal watches just aren’t practical. You’re always washing your hands, handling liquids and flourishing your arms about — all activities that could possibly break or damage a wristwatch. Prevent this situation by using a pocket watch. You definitely need to tell time in the middle of class, since half the classrooms in Dwinelle Hall don’t even have clocks, but it’s so much better if you can pull a watch on a chain out of your pocket to check instead of just glancing at your wrist.

Erasable pens

Taylor Follett/Senior Staff

Taylor Follett/Senior Staff

There’s no writing utensil that allows you to write something and then get rid of it in a quick and practical way like an erasable pen. The barely-there ink and very short lifespan just make it an even more attractive purchase. A fun benefit of these pens include the fact that the ink never really erases all the way and the erasers leave black marks on your paper, in case you actually need to remember what you erased. Perfect for the dozens of mistakes you’re going to make in Physics 7A.

Glasses chain

Taylor Follett/Senior Staff

Taylor Follett/Senior Staff

It’s very awful and confusing walking around the world not knowing if you need to have your reading glasses on or off. When you’re looking at the readings or your notes in lecture, you need them, but when you’re looking at the far away board in the Pimentel lecture hall, you don’t. You absolutely need a glasses chain in all situations, so you can put them on and take them off without the risk of dropping or forgetting them. They’ll just look like a hip new necklace.

Contact Taylor Follett at [email protected].