4 suspects allegedly stole property, vandalized Doe Library in June

Four suspects allegedly damaged and stole property at UC Berkeley’s Doe Library on June 23 about 10:20 p.m. after the library was closed, according to a UCPD crime alert sent Tuesday.

While the suspects’ actions were captured on video surveillance, UCPD is requesting help with identifying the individuals responsible. UCPD Detective Brendan Tinney said that though he could not confirm their affiliation with campus, he suspects the individuals are students.

Tinney could not specify why the incident — which was reported to UCPD in June — was only now announced to the campus in an alert, saying only that based on the investigation, “There were things that we were asked to hold off on.”

In addition, Tinney could not disclose the extent of the vandalism or the value of the property damaged, because he intends to use those details for later inquiries.

“I was vague for a specific reason, because I want to use that in my investigation,” Tinney said. “Typically I won’t include information like that because I’m hoping that it will be part of an admission by a suspect. I want them to tell me what they did — I don’t want to put words into people’s mouths.”

Similar community notices have been effective in identifying suspects in the past, according to Tinney. After flyers were posted regarding two suspects who allegedly vandalized and stole property at the Haas Pavilion in November 2014, Tinney said, UCPD was able to identify the suspects and close the investigation.

Anyone with information regarding the incident is asked to contact Tinney at 510-642-3658.

Alexandra Yoon-Hendricks is the city news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @ayoonhendricks.