Where to go when you get a visitor

Alice Langford/File
Alice Langford/File

There’s so much to do in Berkeley, yet sometimes, it feels like we’re trapped in a bubble with nothing to do at all. Don’t worry, we’ve got you. Here at the Clog, we’re always looking for new places to go, new foods to try and scenic hills with beautiful skyline and sunset views. Whether you’re hungry or have a craving for nature, you’re sure to find something on this list that you can do next time your friend visits.

La Note Restaurant Provençal 

Kithumini Jayasiri/Staff

This is one of our personal favorite brunch spots here in Berkeley. Located Downtown on Shattuck Avenue, this place is especially popular and crowded Sunday mornings. There’s outdoor seating, as well as indoor, so even if the weather is gloomy, you can enjoy a nice weekend brunch without freezing your toes off.

Philz Coffee

Kithumini Jayasiri/Staff

Kithumini Jayasiri/Staff

This is one place you must take any coffee lover (or maybe a coffee hater — with one sip of this liquid gold, you can convert them). Philz has darker blends, medium blends, lighter blends and even decaf, so whether you’re trying to stay up until 2 a.m. to write your sociology paper or looking for something to satisfy your tastebuds, Philz has the perfect cup for you. The baristas at Philz allow you to customize your cup by choosing the level of sweetness and creaminess. Our personal favorites include the Philtered Soul, Tesora, Silken Splendor and Mint Mojito, all served iced, sweet and creamy.

Claremont Canyon Regional Preserve

Kithumini Jayasiri/Staff

Kithumini Jayasiri/Staff

Berkeley is full of beautiful hills and hiking trails. Claremont Canyon Regional Preserve is a hidden gem in the hills behind Clark Kerr Campus. For a good workout along with some breathtaking panoramic views, bring your visiting friends here. They, too, will fall in love with Berkeley.

Indian Rock Park

Kithumini Jayasiri/File

This park is located in North Berkeley. It’s not a difficult climb, and you can have an extremely wonderful view of the Bay Area. Whether you’re looking for some peace and quiet in the morning or you want to have a sunset picnic, bring your friends here to see the entire bay in all its beauty.

Having visitors can be stressful because it puts pressure on the host to entertain. Using this guide, your guests will be delighted by all that Berkeley has to offer. They’ll leave the Bay totally convinced that you do, in fact, go to the number one public university in the world.

Contact Kithumini Jayasiri at [email protected].