Several Bears active in NFL Week 1

Greg Buch | FFSwami.com/Creative Commons

Football is back! What’s more, Cal football is well represented in the NFL, with 27 former Cal players on active rosters. With week 1 of the NFL season now in the books, let’s recap some of the action by the former Bears. Sadly, that action did not include Jared Goff (still 3rd string) or Marshawn Lynch (still retired).

RB CJ Anderson, Broncos

Statline: 20 rushing attempts for 92 yards and one rushing touchdown; four receptions for 47 yards and one receiving touchdown

CJ Anderson could not have started the season off any better than he did in the season opener against the Carolina Panthers. Against the vaunted Panthers defense, Anderson kept chipping away until finally breaking loose on a screen pass turned into a 25 yard touchdown. Not long after, Anderson rushed for another touchdown to give the Broncos the lead, and eventually the win. With Peyton Manning retired, the Broncos’ offense is now Anderson’s to carry, and he’ll look to feast against a soft Indianapolis run defense next week.

QB Aaron Rodgers, Packers

Statline: 20/34 attempts for 199 yards and 2 touchdowns; one rushing touchdown

Aaron Rodgers reinforced his status as the best quarterback in the league with this single play.

A new and improved Jaguars defense may have held the two-time MVP to less than 200 yds passing, but he still discount double checked his way to three touchdowns and the win.

WR DeSean Jackson, Washington

Statline: six receptions for 102 yards

DeSean Jackson immediately made his presence known on Monday Night Football, showcasing his speed with a 31 yard pass on Washington’s second offensive snap of the night. Jackson would also snag a 33 yard pass later in the game, proving that he is still a viable deep threat. It took Jackson until week 15 last season to have a game with over 100 yards receiving, so he’ll look to replicate his week 1 performance going forward.

RB Justin Forsett, Baltimore

Statline: 10 attempts for 41 yards; two receptions for 15 yards

Justin Forsett is still the starting running back for the Ravens after a weird saga where he was briefly cut and then resigned. Still, Forsett split touches with fellow running back Terrance West, and although Forsett was more productive, there appears to be a running back by committee situation in Baltimore. Forsett is only a year removed from his breakout season where he rushed for more than 1,250 yards, and after disappointing last season, he’ll look to prove that he’s more than a one hit wonder.

WR Keenan Allen, Chargers

Statline: six receptions for 63 yards; Torn ACL – Placed on Injured Reserve

Football is a rough sport. For players at all levels, it’s not a matter of if you get hurt, but when. Unfortunately for Keenan Allen, he’ll have to endure another season of rehab. This is a man who makes a living running and catching footballs, and all it took was just one wrong move to tear his ACL. Last year, Allen missed the final 8 games of the season with a lacerated kidney. The Chargers deeply missed his production, as their offensive production fell from 423.3 yards per game with him to 320.4 yards per game without. Safe to say that Allen will be sorely missed.

Jeffrey Liu covers men’s tennis. Contact him at [email protected]