BERKELEY'S NEWS • JANUARY 18, 2023

Year! Review! Read our 2022 Year in Retrospect Issue!

UCPD arrests suspect in connection to rape at campus residence hall

|

Managing Editor

SEPTEMBER 15, 2016

UCPD arrested a suspect Wednesday on suspicion of raping a female student Sept. 4 at a UC Berkeley residential hall, according to a UCPD crime alert.

The suspect, Sardar Sikandar Wali Zia Khan, is a 25 year-old male UC Berkeley student who lives in campus housing, the alert stated. According to UCPD spokesperson Sgt. Sabrina Reich, Khan is currently facing two felony charges for rape and penetration with a foreign object. Reich said that he is being held in custody at Santa Rita Jail.

UCPD received a report of the rape Sept. 5. Khan was an acquaintance of the 19 year-old victim, according to the alert. According to UCPD’s crime log, he was arrested at approximately 3:24 p.m. on Wednesday at Telegraph Avenue and Haste Avenue.

UCPD is not releasing the name of the residence hall where the crime occurred out of respect for the privacy of the people involved in the case, Reich said.

Chantelle Lee covers crime and courts. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @ChantelleHLee.

NOVEMBER 01, 2016