Best Bears to aim for in fantasy for Week 3

Mike Morbeck/Creative Commons

Another week of the NFL and fantasy football is in the books. With plenty of former Bears active in week two, let’s take a look at some of their performances.

Marquee Bears in week two:

Aaron Rodgers

Week two stats: 213 passing yards, pass touchdown, interception, 29 rushing yards, rushing touchdown and fumble lost.

Rodgers did not have a great outing in week two against the Minnesota Vikings. During the course of the game, he threw an interception, fumbled the ball three times and was sacked five times. The Packers ultimately lost, 17-14. Green Bay’s offense was by no means rhythmic. Minnesota’s defense was disruptive, throwing the two-time NFL MVP off his game. Though Rodgers has his favorite target Jordy Nelson back in the fold, the offense collectively is not getting the job done. A team notorious for its great offense was exposed by a superb Vikings team. There is, however, no need to panic about Rodgers, because it’s only two weeks into the NFL season. In addition, he is too talented of a player to remain in this funk. Rodgers and Co. have a prime opportunity to get back on track in a week three matchup against the Detroit Lions.

CJ Anderson

Week two stats: 74 rushing yards, rushing touchdown, three receptions and 19 receiving yards.

Anderson continued to impress in his week two outing against the Indianapolis Colts. He again showcased his ability to be a factor in the running and passing games, while continuing to cement himself as the Broncos’ lead back. Anderson is becoming a running back who fantasy owners can continue to trust. The Broncos are lacking depth with young running backs Devontae Booker and Kapri Bibbs as the only other options. Additionally, the Broncos are operating in a system where head coach Gary Kubiak is implementing a strong running game. With that, Anderson is in a great position to consistently get a bulk of the carries.  In week three, he will look to keep up the solid play against a stout Cincinnati Bengals defense. This matchup will offer yet another opportunity for him to prove to fantasy owners that he is a legit weekly starter.

Bears with down week two Performances:

DeSean Jackson

Week two stats: three receptions and 40 yards.

Jackson seemed primed to have a strong week two after tallying more than 100 receiving yards in his week one matchup against the Pittsburgh Steelers. Unfortunately, Jackson failed to deliver against an often inconsistent Dallas Cowboys defense. He was held to minimum yardage and was only targeted five times. Though Jackson is part of a pass-heavy offense, he seems to be on a team with great depth in its receiving corp. Redskins quarterback Kirk Cousins has veterans DeSean Jackson, Pierre Garcon and Jordan Reed to target along with young receivers Jamison Crowder and Josh Doctson in the passing game. This does not seem to bode well for Jackson’s fantasy value. Of course, he will have some big weeks in fantasy because of his playmaking abilities, but inconsistent snaps may reign supreme. In week three, Jackson squares off against a much-improved and undefeated New York Giants team. We shall see if he ultimately bounces back or has another down week.

Richard Rodgers

Week two stats: two receptions and 25 receiving yards.

Coming into this season, Rodgers looked due for a breakout season. He formed a great chemistry with quarterback Aaron Rodgers last season, so football fans were expecting big things from him. Yet things have not turned out quite that way. In the first two weeks of the season, he has tallied a meager three receptions for 47 yards. This seems to be more of a product of a Green Bay team that has been offensively inconsistent to start the season.  Rodgers should, however, become more of a factor as the Packers continue to address some of their offensive deficiencies. Not to mention, the Packers faced a fantastic Vikings defense in week two and a revamped Jacksonville Jaguars defensive unit in week one. In week three against the Detroit Lions, Rodgers has an opportunity to get back in sync with Rodgers and regain his rapport with his quarterback. In his last matchup against the Lions, he posted eight receptions for 146 receiving yards and a touchdown.

Bear on the rise after week two:

Marvin Jones

Week two stats: eight receptions and 118 receiving yards.

Jones has been a pleasant surprise for many fantasy owners this season. In week two against the Tennessee Titans, he put up monster numbers, hauling in eight receptions with more than 100 yards receiving. Jones is outplaying the Lions presumed No. 1 receiver Golden Tate. Two weeks into the season, he has received 21 targets from quarterback Matthew Stafford, translating into 12 receptions for 203 yards. On the other hand, Tate has been targeted 16 times by Stafford through two weeks, leading to nine receptions for 54 yards. He is forming a great connection with Stafford, something to clearly take note of. Additionally, Jones offers the perfect aerial passing threat for Stafford to continue on with his gunslinging quarterback mentality. He should continue to be heavily targeted in the Lions passing game and as the season progresses will possibly become the No. 1 receiver the Lions are searching for. In week three against the Green Bay Packers, he will have yet another chance to show fantasy owners he is for real. This season, Jones is poised to break out.

Bear on the decline after week two:

Justin Forsett

Week two stats: 37 rushing yards, three receptions and nine receiving yards.

Forsett is a tough player for fantasy owners to read. He is clearly sharing the Baltimore Ravens’ lead back duties with Terrance West, thus lessening his fantasy value. Forsett had a minimal 37 yards rushing on 14 attempts in week two. On the flip side, West was held to 42 yards on 11 attempts. It still remains unclear who the Ravens true No. 1 running back is now and heading into the future. Fantasy owners should shy away from Ravens running backs until further notice. Neither Forsett nor West has yet to prove that they are the lead back. In week three, Forsett matches up against the Jacksonville Jaguars. The Jaguars are a team struggling at the start of this season, yet Forsett is not a viable start because of the state of his situation with West. He is, however, a player to monitor as the season progresses or as the Ravens’ running back situation becomes more clear.

Bear to monitor after week two:

Shane Vereen

Week two stats: 42 rushing yards, three receptions, 24 receiving yards and fumble lost.

Vereen is clearly not the lead back for the New York Giants, but he is still a component of their offense. He impacts the offense in various ways, whether it is a hand-off, screen pass or pitch out of the backfield. Yet, the Giants tend not to use him too much offensively, which makes him a risky week-to-week fantasy play. In week two against the New Orleans Saints, his numbers did not stand out, as he was only implemented into a fixed amount of the Giants’ offensive package. The Giants starting running back Rashad Jennings, however, was battling a hand injury in the Saints game and was held to limited game time action. In addition, after the game, Jennings was spotted sporting a cast on his left thumb. This could potentially increase Vereen’s fantasy value in the near future. If Jennings plays against the Washington Redskins in week three and is again limited, this could lead to more offensive involvement for Vereen. Or on the other hand, if Jennings is a scratch for the game, then Vereen is absolutely a must-add in fantasy. All in all, he is definitely a player fantasy owners should keep on their radar as the Giants prepare for their week three matchup.

Contact Ryan Groves at [email protected].