Fatal shooting reported by Berkeley police Thursday night

Bowen Xiao/Staff

Nineteen-year-old Ignacio Francis Jr., or Greg, died Thursday evening after being shot multiple times on the 1800 block of Fairview Street in Berkeley, according to Berkeley Police Department Lt. Andrew Rateaver.

A small group of men and women were standing by the corner of Harper and Fairview streets when a male suspect approached them, according to a BPD crime alert. The suspect allegedly produced a handgun after a verbal exchange and shot Francis, causing others in the group to flee, the BPD alert said. The suspect then allegedly fled the scene, according to the alert.

BPD said in the alert that it first received multiple calls reporting gunshots about 7:32 p.m. Police arrived on scene and administered medical treatment until Berkeley Fire Department arrived and transported Francis to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead, according to BPD Lt. Kevin Schofield.

Rateaver said he could not provide a suspect description at the time.

The 1800 block of Fairview Street between Adeline and Ellis streets was closed to all traffic while BPD investigates the fatal shooting, according to the BPD alert. Harper Street between Woolsey and Fairview streets was also closed.

Anyone with information about the shooting is encouraged to call BPD’s homicide detail at 510-981-5741 or its 24-hour nonemergency line at 510-981-5900.

Check back for updates.

Staff writer Brenna Smith contributed to this report.

Andrea Platten is the managing editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @andreaplatten.

A previous version of this article misspelled Ignacio Francis Jr.’s name.