BPD discovers 2 gunshot wound victims near intersection of King Street, Alcatraz Avenue

The Berkeley Police Department discovered two gunshot wound victims Sunday night near the intersection of King Street and Alcatraz Avenue, according to BPD Lt. Alyson Hart.

The victims — a man and a woman — both were transported to a hospital with non-life threatening injuries. One victim sustained two gunshot wounds to the abdomen and the other was shot once in the leg, Hart said.

BPD first received reports of gunshots in the area about 8:25 p.m. and arrived on the scene soon after. According to Hart, about five to six shots were fired in total.

BPD issued an advisory Friday in response to several shootings that recently occurred near Sacramento Street and Ashby Avenue. The advisory states that BPD officers determined that the series of shootings appear to involve two groups targeting each other.

BPD announced in the advisory that it would increase patrols this week in the area near Sacramento Street and Ashby Avenue as it further investigated the event.

As of press time, BPD has no suspects in connection to the most recent shooting. It is currently investigating the incident to gain more information, Hart said.

Jessica Lynn is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @jessicailynn.