Picks of the week: No rain check needed

San Francisco Symphony/Courtesy

It’s full steam ahead on fall: Pumpkin spice lattes are for sale again, Halloween costume discussions are getting serious and, most importantly, it’s starting to rain. The latter can put a serious damper on social plans, but there’s still plenty of great indoor events you can attend to avoid frizzy hair, wet socks and crowded awnings.

Here’s a breakdown of a few recommendations for the week — scarf and umbrella not required.

Tuesday: ‘The Rama Epic: Hero, Heroine, Ally, Foe’ exhibition at the Asian Art Museum

The Rama epic has inspired artistic masterpieces in India and Southeast Asia for 2,500 years. From Oct. 21 to Jan. 15, the Asian Art Museum will be hosting an exhibition featuring 135 of these creative treasures. Stunning visual art, performance and literature come together to bring to life Rama, his wife Sita, his monkey lieutenant Hanuman and the demon king Ravana. Some of the exhibition’s highlights include a breathtakingly intricate wood carving from Indonesia of the demon king Ravana riding a mythical bird. Another is the 17th century Indian painter Sahibdin’s watercolor depiction of Hanuman flying to the Himalayas. No matter which version of the legend is analyzed, the Rama epic is always thrillingly dramatic, emotionally provocative and deeply passionate, which is why it lends itself so magically to such awe-inspiring works. If you have time, also check out the Asian Art Museum’s permanent collection, which celebrates incredible paintings, carvings, sculptures and more from across Asia. Best of all, you can get discounted tickets to the museum with your student ID.

Thursday: College Night with the San Francisco Symphony 

For $20 tickets, students can come out to Davies Symphony Hall and listen to Mozart’s Piano Concerto No. 20 and Brahms’ Second Symphony performed by the always enchanting San Francisco Symphony. Mozart’s strikingly tense concerto was actually a favorite piece of Beethoven’s, and coupling it with Brahms’ glorious yet tender symphony promises to give students a melodramatic and climactic musical experience. In addition, the first 100 students to purchase tickets receive a free beverage voucher. Whether you’re a classical connoisseur or recital rookie, the SF Symphony will almost certainly delight you with its breathtaking finesse and artistry.

The weekend: “Heart of Spain —A Musical of the Spanish Civil War” at Zellerbach Playhouse

A group of Americans volunteer to fight fascism during the Spanish Civil War in the musical  “Heart of Spain,” presented by Berkeley’s department of theater, dance, and performance studies at Zellerbach Playhouse. The musical — inspired by historical letters, poems and songs — brings to life one of history’s lesser-known conflicts. It traces the diverse group of Americans’ journey from Great Depression-era New York City to the Spanish battlefront. All the while, the recruits come face to face with a question that is still intensely topical to this day: When should the United States involve itself in international warfare? The story challenges traditional definitions of courage, identity and sacrifice and includes original music from Peter Glazer and Eric Bain Peltoniemi. Tickets are only $13 for students, and because it’s located on campus, it’s perfect for anyone easily intimidated by the potential for rain.

Anytime: ‘Jack Reacher: Never Go Back’ at United Artists Berkeley 7

Tom Cruise is the ultimate guilty pleasure. In his second outing as the rugged investigator Jack Reacher, Cruise is on a rogue mission to prove the innocence of his former commander, army Major Susan Turner (Cobie Smulders). Reacher eventually uncovers a treasonous plot against U.S. soldiers that has mysterious repercussions for Reacher’s military past. The action adventure promises plenty of good old-fashioned fistfights and romanticized patriotism; it’s perfect for that night when you just want to order a large popcorn and enjoy a straight-up entertaining movie, no complex emotional layering or cinematic symbolism attached. Head on down to UA Berkeley 7 on Shattuck Avenue, because you won’t have another opportunity to get your Tom Cruise fix until the reboot of “The Mummy” is released in 2017.

Contact Shannon O’Hara at [email protected].