How to deal with nightmares

Hannah Cooper/Staff

At UC Berkeley, we’re all much too familiar with the dreaded feeling of failing that next midterm or failing to convince the professor that we actually spent the minimum required 30 hours on a project that makes up a quarter of the final grade for the class. This is the nightmarish reality of our lives, but what about in our sleep?

Does the haunting look of disappointment on your professor’s face lurk in your subconscious? Do you have troubling dreams in which you realize that you’ve completely forgotten about the major project you’ve been generously given an entire month to do? Have you ever dreamed of oversleeping and missing a entire day of midterms?

Well, fear these pesky nightmares no more, for the Clog is here to help you chase them away. Here are some tried and true tips for all you scared, traumatized souls out there.

1. Exercise.

Whether you do sit-ups, jumping jacks, push-ups or run on a treadmill, exercise is extremely effective in relieving stress. Additionally, after all that physical exertion, who really has any energy left for their sinister subconscious imagination to run wild anyways? Follow this piece of advice, and you should sleep like a rock.

1. Drink warm milk before going to bed, or when you wake up from a nightmare. (Note: Do not follow this tip if you are lactose intolerant.)

This is the age-old warm milk trick, and you might think that it’s baloney, but let’s be real — there’s a reason why this saying’s stuck around for so long. Warm milk is comforting and soothes your nerves.

1. Watch your favorite episode of your favorite show before going to bed.

The last thing on your mind before tapping out of consciousness should be one of comfort and bliss to ensure maximum protection against scary, disturbing nightmares.

1. Don’t watch scary movies before going to bed.

And yes, this means that you probably shouldn’t watch the latest episode of “How to Get Away With Murder” right before hitting the sack. Trust us, you’ll regret it the next morning when you’re exhausted and brain-dead from desperately trying to put all the clues together in your dreams.

1. Relax and calm down before falling asleep.

Whether it be taking in deep, calming breaths or doing some light yoga before climbing into bed, doing an activity that relaxes and soothes you is definitely a precaution to take when trying to avoid nightmares.

Hopefully, now that you’re armed with these expert tips to deal with nightmares, you’ll suffer no more.  Sweet dreams, everyone.

Contact Judy Shan at [email protected].