BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 01, 2022

Holiday gingerbread waffles

ALLISON DAVID | STAFF

DECEMBER 01, 2016

Now that Thanksgiving is over, it’s officially “socially acceptable” to start celebrating the holiday season. What breakfast is more festive than gingerbread waffles? The holiday spices are just what you need to have a wintry and festive morning.

What you’ll need:

Allison David/Staff
Allison David/Staff

3 cups flour

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/8 cup pearl sugar

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

1/2 teaspoon allspice

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1/3 cups finely chopped candied ginger

6 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter

2 cups of nonfat milk

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/4 cup pumpkin puree

Powdered sugar (for serving)

What you’ll do: 

Allison David/Staff
Allison David/Staff

First, mix your dry ingredients and use a sifter or food processor to make sure that all the ingredients are completely blended together. This will make sure that the baking soda and baking powder are evenly distributed.

Allison David/Staff
Allison David/Staff

Pearl sugar is included in your dry ingredients and can be found in select stores and online. It works as an amazing way to have crunchy crystalized edges of the waffle. If you can’t get your hands on any y0u can substitute it for basic white sugar.

Allison David/Staff
Allison David/Staff

Next, either chop or pulse 1/3 of a cup of candied ginger. Make sure that these are in fine pieces so that they can spread out evenly among the batter.

Allison David/Staff
Allison David/Staff

Next, mix all of your wet ingredients (except for the pumpkin puree) in a separate bowl. Make sure that you chop your butter into small pieces. The butter should be chilled. It’s OK if the butter is still chunky, it won’t blend completely evenly.

Allison David/Staff
Allison David/Staff

Next, add your wet ingredients into your dry ingredients and mix it into a batter. Add your chopped candied ginger and pumpkin puree. The consistency of the batter will be on the thicker side.

Allison David/Staff
Allison David/Staff

Finally, butter your waffle iron and cook until golden brown depending on your waffle iron’s instructions.

Allison David/Staff
Allison David/Staff

This step is optional, but you can top off the waffles with homemade icing. Mix 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar with 1/8 cup of water. Drizzle on top and you have a delicious breakfast.

Allison David/Staff
Allison David/Staff

Enjoy!

Contact Allison David at 

DECEMBER 02, 2016