With the weather finally cooling down, ’tis the season to enjoy some decadent eggnog. This rich drink is traditionally served cold, but we at the Clog prefer a warmer brew to get us through the chilly nights. Feel free to upgrade this non-alcoholic eggnog by adding a 1/2 cup of rum, bourbon or brandy to the final product.
What you’ll need:
6 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
3 cups milk
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/3 cup condensed milk
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup heavy whipping cream at room temperature
What you’ll do:
- Using a whisk or electric mixer, beat the egg yolks until they are frothy. Slowly add the sugar and mix thoroughly between each addition until the sugar is fully dissolved.
- Add the milk, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, vanilla extract and condensed milk into a saucepan and heat until the mixture starts to boil gently.
- Temper the egg yolks by pouring in the hot milk mixture little by little to prevent the eggs from scrambling.
- Return the liquid to the sauce pan and bring to a low boil. Remove the pan from the stove once the mixture is thick enough to stick the surface of a spoon. Add in the heavy whipping cream.
- Serve immediately or chill in the refrigerator overnight.
Contact Angeline Nguyen at [email protected].