Berkeley Police Department searching for missing Berkeley resident

Berkeley Police Department released a Nixle alert Wednesday morning asking the public for its cooperation in locating a missing Berkeley resident.

According to the alert, Olga Segal, 51, has been missing since Nov. 24. The alert described Segal as 5 feet 9 inches and 140 pounds with brown hair and blue eyes. She was reportedly last seen that morning on the 1900 block of Berryman Street as she was sweeping the walkway outside her apartment.

“(Segal) has not been seen or heard from since,” the alert said. “Friends and family of Segal’s are concerned about her welfare.”

Segal was reported missing Dec. 2, according to BPD spokesperson Sgt. Andrew Frankel. He said that, according to protocol, the officer took the initial report and conducted two follow-up investigations — the first the next day and the second a week later. After that, the case was forwarded to the detective division.

Frankel said part of the reason for the delay in sending out the Nixle alert is that Segal is a missing adult. He explained that adults can sometimes tend to travel without telling anyone.

“There isn’t anything to indicate that anything suspicious has happened,” Frankel said. “(But) now that a little bit more time has passed, that sort of elevates our concerns.”

Anyone with information about Segal’s whereabouts is asked to call BPD at 510-981-4722.

Check back for updates.

Chantelle Lee is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @ChantelleHLee.