BERKELEY'S NEWS • DECEMBER 03, 2022

Take a look at our 2022 midterm elections special issue!

Flooring improvements ongoing at Memorial Stadium Fitness Center

RECREATIONAL SPORTS/UC BERKELEY | COURTESY

JANUARY 17, 2017

UC Berkeley’s Memorial Stadium Fitness Center is currently under renovation and tentatively scheduled to reopen Feb. 20.

The renovations began over the winter holidays. The gym’s equipment was removed to make way for operations that will bring the gym’s defected flooring, which was installed two and a half years ago, up to the health and safety standards held by the university’s Department of Recreational Sports, said Senior Associate Director of Recreational Sports Joe Watz.

In spite of the department’s plans to reopen the gym on the first day of instruction for the spring 2017 semester, the newly installed flooring has again failed to meet the department’s standards.

“We asked the original (flooring) company to come in and come up with a solution to fix the floor they put in,” Watz said. “We tried their solution but determined that their solution did not meet our standards for health and safety.”

The department plans to meet with a new flooring company next week in order to resolve the issue.

According to Watz, the department is also doing touch-up painting and some edging to improve maintenance.

According to Austin Chang, a campus freshman and Foothill resident who regularly uses the Memorial Stadium Fitness Center, he has never encountered any problems with the gym other than occasional crowdedness.

“I think that although it’s inconvenient … if they say there’s a defect, I don’t see there’s a reason to doubt it,” Chang said. “Even if the floor looks fine it might have some other problems, such as inflammability issues … that aren’t appearing on the surface.”

While the Memorial Stadium Fitness Center is undergoing renovations, several of those who normally use the gym started going to the Recreational Sports Facility located on Bancroft Way instead.

Chloe Battelle, a freshman who lives at Clark Kerr and typically exercises at the Memorial Stadium Fitness Center, began working out at the RSF when she found out that the Memorial Stadium Fitness Center was temporarily closed. She said that although she finds it inconvenient to go to a gym farther from where she lives, the RSF is still in close proximity to her classes for the time being.

According to campus sophomore Benjamin Chang, long lines could be found at the RSF this week starting at 9 a.m. most days and peaking in the afternoon hours, which some attribute to displacement caused by renovations at the Memorial Stadium Fitness Center.

“I heard that (the Memorial Stadium Fitness Center) was closed and that’s why the RSF is so packed every day,” said campus sophomore Benjamin Chang. “I didn’t realize so many people go to that one, though.”

Others, however, cite those attempting to fulfill new year’s resolutions as the cause of the influx of students exercising at the RSF.

Berkeley Rec Sports announced the ongoing renovation and tentative reopening date through its official website and social media, as well as emails to members.

“We’re student-first,” Watz said. “What we’ll be doing is providing ongoing updates.”

Contact Charlene Jin at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @CharleneJin0327.

FEBRUARY 05, 2017