BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 01, 2022

USDA-certified organic restaurant begins operations in Berkeley

MIKAELA RAPHAEL | STAFF

JANUARY 19, 2017

USDA-certified organic restaurant the Organic Coup opened at 2309 Telegraph Ave. in December, replacing the Pacific Cookie Companythe former business to occupy the space.

The restaurant’s performance has so far exceeded the owner’s expectations as a result of business increasing since the start of campus instruction, according to the Organic Coup founder Erica Welton. Additionally, the establishment draws in substantial traffic from evening and late-night customers, which Welton attributes to the high number of campus students who tend to eat late.

“The last couple days have been very busy with lots of students coming in,” Welton said. “People seem very excited about the fact that there’s a certified organic restaurant near campus.”

Hurem Shrespsh, owner of Organic Greens, another restaurant which opened near campus in 2016,  said he has never heard of the Organic Coup and does not think the restaurant poses significant competition to his business.

“I like things that are sustainably farmed and prepared. … I think it’s a really cool idea,” said Crystal Brisbane, campus senior and first-time customer to the Organic Coup. “I haven’t tried any of the food yet, but the juice so far is really good.”

Campus sophomore Jack Wang, however, said that after his first purchase at the shop he might not become a regular customer. According to Wang, the Organic Coup’s items are priced higher than he had expected.

“I don’t need to pay that much at Chipotle to get a bigger sandwich,” Wang said.

The Organic Coup has also partnered with Oakland Coffee Works, a company founded by Green Day band members Mike Dirnt and Billie Armstrong. The company provides the Berkeley restaurant organic coffee with full packaging compostability, Welton said.

The new establishment currently hosts a free coffee promotion to all customers with UC Berkeley student identification, which will continue until Feb. 3.

Contact Charlene Jin at 

JANUARY 19, 2017