BERKELEY'S NEWS • SEPTEMBER 29, 2022

Cal women's basketball team gives up season-high 90 points to Washington

LIANNE FRICK | FILE

JANUARY 27, 2017

Washington did its best imitation of the Golden State Warriors against Cal on Friday night, as the seventh-ranked Huskies made quick work of the Bears in a decisive 90-67 victory.

The star of the night was Washington junior guard Natalie “Zoom” Romeo. Romeo, who grew up 20 minutes from Berkeley’s campus, looked Klay Thompson-esque as she hit 10 threes en route to scoring a season-high 32 points. She was one of many beneficiaries of a free-flowing offense that consistently got open looks from behind the arc. Romeo scored 26 points and hit eight threes in just the first half alone.

Kelsey Plum, the nation’s leading scorer, had four threes and scored 24 points of her own. Even Washington center Chantel Osahor and her no-jump “jump” shot hit two threes to go with her 16 points and 11 rebounds.

For one night at least, the Splash Sisters looked every bit as good as the Splash Brothers.

The Bears had no answers to stop Washington’s potent offense. For the Huskies, the ball was like a hot potato — quickly swinging it around and getting everybody involved with their crisp ball movement. Once Romeo and the Huskies started hitting their threes, the game was essentially over.

And not only over, but over early. Cal was competitive in the first seven minutes of action where it was able to keep pace with Washington. But the Huskies went on a 25-8 run that began soon after, taking advantage of a sluggish Cal zone defense that was ill-suited to stop their three-point shooting. Washington’s three-point barrage left the Bears looking helpless out on the court as they were unable to stop the bleeding. By halftime, the Huskies held a 22-point lead and were well on their way to victory.

Kristine Anigwe was the only player to have any success against Washington. Anigwe finished as the only Cal player to score in double digits with 23 points, and fell one rebound shy of a double-double. Despite the lack of production from players not named Anigwe, Cal still scored a respectable 67 points on the night. But when facing an offense that averages over 87 points per game, respectable is not nearly good enough.

Cal’s defense gave up a season-high 90 points, which is the most it has allowed in any conference game since the 2013-14 season. The Bears could not get off the court quick enough following the final buzzer, wanting to put this nightmare of a game quickly behind them.

Even with the lopsided defeat, there remains some hope for the Bears to make the NCAA Tournament. Before the loss to Washington, Cal had not lost a game by more than 10 points this season. Four of the Bears’ six losses have come to ranked opponents. With nine games left on the schedule before the Pac-12 tournament, Cal can still impress with potential wins over No. 9 Stanford or No. 8 Oregon State. Once ranked as high as No. 20, the Bears now find themselves in a position where they will need to play well down the stretch if they want to make the NCAA Tournament.

Contact Jeffrey Liu at 

JANUARY 27, 2017