BERKELEY'S NEWS • SEPTEMBER 26, 2022

UC calls for overturn of immigration suspension

PRIYANKA KARTHIKEYAN | STAFF

FEBRUARY 08, 2017

The University of California released a statement Monday calling for the overturn of President Donald Trump’s executive order suspending immigration from seven Muslim-majority countries for 90 days.

Within this announcement, the UC system aligned itself with Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-California, and Rep. Zoe Lofgren, D-California, who introduced legislation in the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives to rescind the order. The university also sent letters to Feinstein and Lofgren encouraging them to take action to pass these bills into law.

“President Trump’s Muslim ban is unnecessary, it’s unconstitutional and it’s un-American — and it should be repealed immediately,” said Feinstein in a statement delivered on the Congress floor.

495 graduate students and 40 undergraduate students from the seven affected countries were admitted to the 10 UC campuses in fall 2016, according to Gary Falle, associate vice president of the UC system. At least one campus student who attempted to enter the United States was barred, according to Associate Chancellor Nils Gilman.

“The executive order restricts the ability of our students, faculty, staff and other members of the UC community from being able to study, teach and conduct research — the fundamentals that make up the core of our mission as a public research institution,” Falle said in the letter.

The university expressed its solidarity with more than 50 other universities and institutions that have expressed concerns about the immigration restrictions. These other institutions include Harvard University, Princeton University, New York University, Duke University and campuses within the UC system, such as UC San Diego and UC Santa Cruz.

“I think that any statement that reaffirms the university’s values is important to reaffirming students, staff and faculty on campus,” said ASUC President Will Morrow. “I feel like stronger statements from the (UC Office of the President) would be beneficial to really show how counter to (the) values of the institution these executive orders are.”

Contact Justin Sidhu at 

FEBRUARY 08, 2017