BERKELEY'S NEWS • MARCH 26, 2023

Welcome to the (March) Madness! Read more here

Power outage in South Berkeley restored after affecting about 10,000 customers

|

Managing Editor

FEBRUARY 20, 2017

A power outage in South Berkeley and North Oakland was restored an hour after it started Monday evening, according to PG&E spokesperson Tamar Sarkissian.

The outage started about 5:09 p.m. Monday and was fully restored as of 6:16 p.m., Sarkissian said. It affected about 10,500 customers in the South Berkeley and North Oakland areas.

Although Sarkissian didn’t know the exact cause of the outage, she said it was connected to the weather.

Sarkissian said as soon as PG&E was aware of the outage, it dispatched its troublemen — otherwise known as electric first responders — to the scene to quickly resolve the issue.

“It’s basically all hands on deck through the storm,” Sarkissian said. “We have people working all hours of the day, through the night. And so when an incident like this occurs, our crews are ready to roll and restore our customers as quickly and as safely as possible.”

Chantelle Lee is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @ChantelleHLee.

FEBRUARY 20, 2017