Chocolate cupcakes from scratch

Avanti Mehrotra/Staff

I recently made an almond citrus olive oil cake with my older sister, during which we ended up messing up the order of mixing our ingredients. Out of fear of messing up the olive oil cake, we decided to set aside the dry ingredients mixture and use it for another recipe. Wanting to use this flour, baking soda and brown sugar mixture, I decided to make chocolate cupcakes from scratch. Modifying and combining recipes to accommodate the pre-made dry mixture. And, to my genuine surprise, the cupcakes made from this mixture were out of this world. A fun baking recipe to make with friends for a night in, these chocolate cupcakes will be gone before you know it.

Ingredients                                                                          

Makes 12 cupcakes

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 ½ cups brown sugar

¾ cup sweetened cocoa powder

1 ½ teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoon espresso powder

1 cup boiling water

1 cup 2 percent milk

3 teaspoons vanilla extract

2 eggs

½ stick unsalted butter

12 cupcake liners

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a microwavable glass bowl, melt the butter. Let the butter cool for 2-3 minutes then crack in the eggs and beat on medium speed, adding the vanilla extract as you beat the mixture. In a separate glass bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, brown sugar, baking soda and cocoa powder.

Processed with VSCO with c1 preset

Avanti Mehrotra/Blog Staff

Prepare a glass of coffee by mixing the espresso powder in the cup of boiling water, and let it brew for a couple of minutes.

Processed with VSCO with c1 preset

Avanti Mehrotra/Blog Staff

Slowly add in the flour mixture to the egg mixture in thirds. Beat the flour and egg mixture on medium-high speed, then slowly add the cup of coffee to the mixture while still beating. Once everything is mixed together thoroughly, beat the batter on high speed for a minute. This will create bubbles in the batter and make the cupcakes extra fluffy.

Processed with VSCO with c1 preset

Avanti Mehrotra/Blog Staff

Line your cupcake pan with the liners and using a ladle, fill each liner with batter. Put the pan in the oven and let the cupcakes bake for about 30 minutes.

Processed with VSCO with c1 preset

Avanti Mehrotra/Blog Staff

Enjoy this easy and delectable dessert with your friends or family! It’s a perfect snack to pair with a cup of hot tea or coffee.

Contact Avanti Mehrotra at [email protected].