Tony Tuioti joins Cal football coaching staff

With just 17 days until Cal football’s first spring practice, head coach Justin Wilcox announced Saturday that Tony Tuioti, the last piece to his full-time coaching staff, has agreed to become the Bears’ outside linebackers coach.

Tuioti has more than a decade of coaching experience to his name, with stops at the high school, collegiate and professional levels. He has spent the most time with his alma mater, Hawaii, where he was a graduate assistant from 2000 to 2001 and held three different roles for the Rainbow Warriors between 2008 and 2013.

Before his most recent run with Michigan this past season as the director of player personnel, he spent two years with the Cleveland Browns as a defensive line/quality control coach.

“Tony has a tremendous resume that showcases his diverse skill set and abilities both on and off the field,” Wilcox said in a statement. “Not only is he an excellent coach, but the experience he has as a director of player personnel will be a tremendous benefit to us in the structuring and organization of our recruiting operation.”

With Tuioti’s experience comes several accolades. His defense at Hawaii ranked in the top 15 nationally in several categories, such as takeaways (No. 1 in 2010), sacks per game (T-No. 15 in 2011) and per-game tackles for losses (No. 3 in 2013).

“Working at Cal for a coach like Justin Wilcox was an opportunity I could not pass up,” Tuioti said in a statement. “I have a tremendous feeling about the positive direction Cal is headed, and I really wanted to be a part of that and contribute all I could to a football program with tremendous potential.”

Chris Tril is the sports editor. Contact him at [email protected].