How to be a cool professor

Arya Aliabadi/File

Most professors are out of touch. It’s not their fault, of course. When you’re a professor at UC Berkeley, making groundbreaking advances in your field, it can be difficult to focus on what the kids are up to these days. Fear not! If you’re a professor aiming to connect with your students, we at the Clog have your back. Read on to find out how to be not just a regular professor but a cool professor.

Wear cool clothes

Everyone knows that the clothes maketh the man (or woman). Take a cue from your students and follow their trends to style your outfits. Over-the-knee boots and chokers are totally appropriate for lecture, right?

Arrive late

The concept of being fashionably late is still in vogue. Forget Berkeley Time — the truly cool folks arrive 20 to 30 minutes after the lecture is supposed to start. Bonus points: your students will love how short class becomes when you skip half of it!

Adopt an interesting accent

There’s nothing like a mysterious accent to up your cool factor. Professors with non-American accents are interesting to our ears, catching our attention better during lectures. Don’t pick any old accent, though. For peak mystery factor, invent your own accent, and change it every so often.

Drink/smoke while lecturing

Your students will definitely be impressed if you deliver your lecture between sips of wine or drags of cigarettes. Nothing says cool like a blatant disregard for your health or school propriety. If you’re a really chill professor, bring some beers for your 21+ students. Who cares if it’s morally gray or totally weird? It’s cool.

Freeze the entire lecture hall

What’s cooler than being cool? Being ice cool! The ultimate way to be the most chill professor is to, quite literally, freeze the room. No one will be cooler than the chemistry professor that can reach absolute zero.

Remember these tips, and you’ll be the most rad professor here. Stay cool, Bears.

Contact Jamie Campbell at [email protected].