BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 01, 2022

Cal baseball drops rain-extended game 2 of double-header

ETHAN EPSTEIN | SENIOR STAFF

MARCH 05, 2017

Cal pitcher Joey Matulovich was in a groove Saturday night. After the Bears battled back from a 6-0 deficit to win 8-7 in the first game of a scheduled double header, Matulovich was looking to make quick order of Gonzaga. Through six innings and 96 pitches — a career high — he battled through the elements to limit the Bulldogs to only a pair of runs on four hits, leading the Bears’ 3-2 effort going into the seventh.

But the elements won. The game was called after the sixth inning because of heavy rain, with the final three innings scheduled for Sunday. The new day did not bring good fortune for Cal, with the home team falling to the Bulldogs, 8-3.

Up to that point, the Bears looked to be in the hunt to make it a two-for-two night at the ballpark.

Cal scored lone runs in three straight innings via singles starting in the fourth. Junior Denis Karas reached third on a fielder’s choice and promptly scored on a single by freshman Max Flower. Sophomore Jonah Davis knocked in a run with a single in the fifth, and freshman Cameron Eden brought in freshman Anthony Walters from third.

Matulovich gave up a pair of runs in what would be his last inning in the sixth after giving up a leadoff triple to Sam Brown. He was promptly brought in by Jeff Bohling on a single, who eventually scored as well.

After some lingering rain that delayed Sunday’s continuation by about half an hour, Arman Sabouri took over for Matulovich. But his results could not have been any more Matulovich’s.

After allowing a walk to his first batter of the day, a wild pitch gave Gonzaga a man in scoring position with nobody out. A fielder’s choice put him at third, and a hit-by-pitch put runners at the corners. Although Sabouri was able to strike out Bohling swinging, a wild pitch drove in the first run of the day for Gonzaga — its third in the contest. A walk to the following batter was all that coach David Esquer needed to see, and Sabouri was pulled from the inning for sophomore Aaron Shortridge.

Shortridge allowed an inherited runner to score via a single, but an infield pop-up ended the inning.

Although he managed to stop the bleeding in the seventh, Shortridge couldn’t bring that efficiency into the eighth. He was knocked around for four runs, with the bulk of the damage coming on back-to-back doubles from Bohling and Tyler Frost. A balk put Frost 90-feet from home plate, but a bounce-out to first baseman Andrew Vaughn ended the inning.

Cal managed only to scatter singles throughout the remainder of the contest, and any hopes of scoring was quickly erased by Gonzaga’s pitching.

Contact Chris Tril at 

MARCH 05, 2017