Sentencing of Kamau Berlin rescheduled for May

The sentencing of Kamau Berlin, a 21-year-old Richmond resident who was charged with the 2014 murder of 72-year-old Nancy McClellan in Berkeley, has been rescheduled to May 12, 2017, as first reported by Berkeleyside.

Berlin accepted a plea deal in December and was originally scheduled to be sentenced March 2. Online records from the Alameda County Sheriff’s Office indicate that Berlin is now scheduled to be sentenced on May 12 at 8:30 a.m. at the Rene C. Davidson Alameda County Courthouse in Oakland.

Berlin’s case dates back to September 2014, when he was arrested for allegedly carjacking and stabbing McClellan. The attack occurred near Russell and Otis streets.

Court documents state that a witness walking near the area saw McClellan lying on the ground. McClellan was hospitalized but eventually died due to injuries that she had obtained during the assault.

In December, Berlin pled to second-degree murder and admitted that he used a knife during the attempted carjacking, according to Teresa Drenick, spokesperson for the Alameda County District Attorney’s office.

Drenick added in an email that the defendant’s plea to second-degree murder would result in 15 years to life in state prison. Berlin also pled no contest to one count of carjacking, understanding that he would serve five years in the state prison, Drenick said.

According to Drenick, Berlin admitted to the use of a knife during the assault, adding an additional year to his potential prison sentence. Drenick confirmed that Berlin, if sentenced, would serve a total of at least 21 years in state prison.

According to Berkeleyside, Berkeley Police Department Sgt. Peter Hong said in previous court testimony that Berlin was talking to himself when he admitted to killing McClellan. Hong alleged that Berlin said “I killed her. She didn’t deserve it,” according to Berkeleyside.

Contact Ishira Shrivatsa at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @i_shrivatsa.