UCPD receives reports of battery, sexual assault over the last few days

Dapree Doyle/File

UCPD investigated a battery and a sexual assault over the last few days, according to the UCPD crime log.

UCPD received a report of a battery near Grinnell Pathway about 1:33 p.m. Sunday, according to the log. UCPD spokesperson Sgt. Sabrina Reich said in an email that the suspect, identified in the log as Javier Ramirez, allegedly assaulted two victims who were acquainted with him.

The log said Ramirez was arrested on suspicion of battery and public intoxication. He was transferred to Berkeley City Jail and was “to be released when sober,” according to the log.

“The victims in the battery did not receive injuries and declined prosecution,” Reich said in the email. “I don’t know the circumstances leading up to the incident but alcohol intoxication was a factor.”

In an unrelated incident, UCPD received a report about 3:28 p.m. Monday regarding a sexual assault case, according to the log. The assault occurred in San Francisco on Sunday and UCPD assisted San Francisco Police Department with the investigation.

Reich said in the email that she was unable to provide additional details at this time, but added that UCPD was “actively investigating” the case. She explained that UCPD responded to the call in San Francisco because it was an outside assist.

“An outside assist to another agency means they asked us to investigate the case, or we received first report of the incident and are handling the initial investigation,” Reich said in the email.

Check back for updates.

Chantelle Lee is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @ChantelleHLee.