UCPD concludes searching for armed robbery suspect near Unit 1

Desiree Diaz/File

After searching Unit 1  for a suspect in an armed robbery Wednesday, UCPD determined around 6:10 p.m. that the area is all clear.

Multiple residents of Cheney Hall reported that the suspect was inside of their building. A Nixle alert released Wednesday about 4:45 p.m. advised residents to shelter in place or stay away from the area.

UCPD released a second Nixle alert about 4:55 p.m. in which it described the suspect as a Hispanic male between the ages of 20 and 30. The alert also described the suspect as around 5 feet 6 inches or 5 feet 7 inches in height, with medium build, dark hair and a buzz cut. According to the alert, the suspect was seen wearing a dark backpack, possibly a blue striped shirt and was allegedly armed with a gun.

In a third Nixle alert released a few minutes later, UCPD stated that officers were checking the area of Bowditch Street, Durant Avenue, College Avenue and Channing Way.

Campus freshman Laetitia Coustar is a resident of Unit 1’s Freeborn Hall and witnessed police officers entering the building. According to Coustar, as she was walking up Bancroft Way, she saw five police cars approaching Unit 1. Coustar said in a Facebook message that there were a few people standing in front of Unit 1’s Cheney Hall because officials weren’t allowing anyone into the building.

“As I (was) walking into unit one … I saw a police officer go back to his car to retrieve a rifle,” Coustar said in her message. “I approached a group of people and asked what was happening and they told me that there was someone with a gun on the 5th floor.”

About 5:34 p.m., UCPD officers were searching all Unit 1 buildings for the suspect. Residents of Cheney, however, said they were not asked to evacuate. By 6:10 p.m., UCPD had determined that the area was safe.

Tyler Yath, who lives on the fourth floor of Cheney Hall, was inside his dorm room studying for an exam as UCPD searched the building.

“I feel pretty safe,” Yath said. “The (UCPD) emails have been informative.”

Check back for updates.

Contact Chantelle Lee and Jessica Lynn at [email protected].