BERKELEY'S NEWS • JANUARY 31, 2023

Ring in the New Year with our 2023 New Year's Special Issue!

A beginner's guide to vegan baking: 3 easy hacks

SALLY DOWD | STAFF

MARCH 10, 2017

Some stuff is difficult. Think rocket science, or maybe waking up for 8 a.m. lecture.

But, vegan baking doesn’t have to be.

It’s actually really, really easy to do, yet it often leaves even the experienced baker in a tizzy. But with a few simple hacks, you can easily convert your favorite cookies, cakes and sweets into vegan treats perfect for carnivores and leaf-lovers alike.

Replacing eggs

Eggs are crucial to almost any recipe. As the binder that turns your chocolate chip cookies into actual cookies and not a mess of crumbs, they’re a must. However, there are numerous easy swaps that work the exact same way.

In place of one egg, you can use:

¼ cup of applesauce

1 banana

1 chia seed egg

These swaps don’t work well for recipes that need more than two eggs.

Replacing milk

Lucky for you, this is the easiest swap of all and it’s nearly foolproof. There are so many varieties of alternative milks to choose from such as almond, coconut, soy or even rice. All you need to do is switch the milks in a one-to-one ratio.

You can even use this trick to replace buttermilk for your favorite biscuits or pancakes. Just add a tablespoon of vinegar (white or apple cider) or lemon juice with a cup of milk. Voila, buttermilk!

Replacing butter

If you haven’t hard of margarine, it’s sort of like butter, but not exactly — think an odd cousin. Made mostly of vegetable oils, this option is a perfect for the “fat” in your recipes. Even better, it’s sold in all grocery stores and sits around the same price point as butter. Try to look for margarines that say “no trans fats” or have a negligible amount of trans fats.

If you’re a bit more adventurous you can also try coconut oil (in a one-to-one ratio) or even mashed avocado (use half the amount of butter required by the recipe).

Vegan baking doesn’t have to be hard, but it does have to be delicious.

Contact Emma Sayiner at [email protected].

MARCH 10, 2017